Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

No.

:sob:

22 Likes

A thoughtful essay (from a larger book) about the progressiveness of Star Trek and the Role Nichols played in making it more progressive than it otherwise would have been (published back in May):

20 Likes

21 Likes

I hope she gets her own special roped-off VIP section up there so she isn’t overwhelmed by fans.

19 Likes
24 Likes

Hard to imagine anyone else who could have replaced her in her most famous role.

so-long-lover-boy

Y’all can keep your Malificents and your Wicked Stepmothers and your Evil Queens. This was the voice of a villain who had confidence.

15 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes

Bye, Vin. The smartest sports announcer ever – not just in baseball.

8 Likes

I saw a wild stat just now on Vin.

Vin Scully called over 4% of all the baseball games ever in MLB history.

6 Likes

Well, he told stories rather than “called” games. “Yogi Bera once told me—oh, there’s a triple play—about the time he…”

3 Likes

Huh? How can that be possible? With 30 teams, there are 15 games a night. Scully was only calling 1 game (2 teams) a night for 67 years. The modern area of baseball (since 1900) is 122 years.

1 Like

What, bad stats?? Involving a game that as far as I can tell is all about stats?!

:scream:

11 Likes

There weren’t always 30 teams in MLB. For a large part of the MLB history, it was 16 teams. And they didn’t play every night. There are about 234,000 MLB games in the history of the league.

Source:

Vin Scully called around 9200 games.

9200 / 234,000 = 3.9%

He also didn’t call games JUST for the Dodgers.

EDIT:

Also of note, the 162 game season only came about in 1962. Seasons have been as short as 60 games in baseball’s history, especially for the first 30 or so years.

7 Likes

Excellent observation.

Just like with NFL hand-egg, with 32 teams there are 14 or 16 games per week. Given the scheduling alone a sportscaster could call 4 or 5 games a week

3 Likes

When I think of Scully I also think of his exact opposite in every way: Howard Cossell. I can’t tell you how many times I and others have shouted, “Oh, shut up!!” at the screen and hurled chips and stuff at the aforesaid.

2 Likes

Dead Spook rather than Celeb…

5 Likes
13 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes