Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Karen, described as “the man who designed the 1970s”, studied aeronautical engineering and took charge of Ogle Design as MD and chief designer in 1962 after previously working in the aircraft industry, and with Ford, Hotpoint and Phillips.

During his time at Ogle, he oversaw the design of the Bush Radio TR130 radio, the Raleigh Chopper, the Bond Bug, the Reliant Scimitar GTE, the Anadol A1 (FW5), a series of lorry cabs for Leyland, and the Marble Run toy.

He retired from Ogle in 1999 but continued to enjoy creating and designing.

Karen was appointed an OBE for his services to design and his sketchbooks are held at the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Reflecting on his creations, he singled out Marble Run, as his “most inspired creation”.

And from 2017:

7 Likes
10 Likes

Those waves are downright apocalyptic.

7 Likes

So sad! I loved “She Devil” and “Remember Me!”. She was always a difficult but fascinating writer

4 Likes

(Not a “Celebrity” by most standards but thought it might interest the comic mutants here.)

9 Likes
6 Likes
10 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

I never read her (so shoot me - too many authors, too little time), but I recall the She Devil TV series being completely gripping - mesmerising, really - and radical, for its day.

3 Likes
3 Likes

You know, somehow I never knew there was a British series! I will have to check it out. The film is of course a complete disappointment

2 Likes

Oh - you are in for a treat, once you accept you are watching something made in the mid 1980s - 37 years ago! In that respect it will appear dated, but it was well-made and very well acted.

ETA the only DVD of the UK series I could find on Amazon US was exorbitantly priced and was clearly a UK version in PAL format. Good luck!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I am expecting a certain… patina. Still, based upon what you said above it sounds like they captured how sharp and pointy the book is

3 Likes

Here you go. Not played it but it looks the right length for what was four one-hour episodes.

6 Likes

Oh excellent! Thank you! I was just looking around and seeing that it’s not officially streaming anywhere!

And oh my god! Patricia Hodge is perfect for Mary Fisher!

4 Likes

OMG Edna O’Brien!

I remember that show being absolutely huge, though not a lot about it I’m afraid. She (Weldon) was so famous when I was a kid.

4 Likes
9 Likes

Sad. I suppose self-hatred can be a form of poison.

9 Likes

Tributes flow as Creative CEO Sim Wong Hoo - the mind behind Sound Blaster - passes aged 68

8 Likes