Dear Guy Who Just Made My Burrito

I’m not sure how that could possibly happen, given that they don’t actually have cilantro as a separate foodstuff on the line.

Last I checked, Texas is east of New Mexico. I can tell you, good burritos are not hard to come by down here.

Or: “Plenty of starving kids would have been happy to eat that burrito!”

Of course, this would only prompt a response of “then send it to the starving kids.”

One of the most memorable burritos I’ve had (not the best, but not bad, either) was a chile relleno burrito that I had in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. (This was in '98 though I believe the place is still there.) I’m accustomed to chiles relleno where the stuffed pepper is battered and fried (for example in Tex-Mex). This one, instead, had the stuffed pepper wrapped inside of an omelette, which was then wrapped up in a tortilla.

When I lived on Long Island (during the Carter era) there was no Mexican food, except for one sit-down restaurant (my parents visited it, but I didn’t). The supermarket, at least, sold taco shells. But that was it, we didn’t even have Taco Bell back then (I doubt it had spread east of the Mississippi at that point). Having moved to NY from LA, I would have been more than happy with some Taco Bell.

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJhfwbfMvU

The relevant bit starts at 2:57, but I really do enjoy the whole clip. (Context is important!)

I don’t care which region’s burritos you prefer: Taco Bell is a form of “Mexican Food” in the same sense that a cow pie is a form of “dessert.”

God only knows, but it was cilantroverwhelming.

3 Likes

Understood… the point being that we didn’t even have Taco Bell, much less anything better.

Lettuce is a poor (if not strictly wrong) choice for a burrito because it wilts almost instantly against the heat of properly warm meat and/or beans. So unless the mouthfeel of rapidly collapsing plant cells is what floats your boat (and if so, gross), lettuce is out.

And as for the variety pizza that you describe, maybe I would like such a thing, mister. MAYBE I WOULD. YOU DON’T KNOW ME.

3 Likes

And here I thought that the #firstworldproblems tag was all used up.

1 Like

you lost me at A…

2 Likes

It’s impossible, due to the coriolis effect.

1 Like

This is my favorite portmanteau ever.

1 Like
  1. I get that criticism for burritos you’d get from a store but the large majority of burritos I consume are made by me from various ingredients in different bowls. If you eat it the minute you make it the wilting problem is not a problem for any vegetable.

2. Fair call. I’d be more in favour of ingredient-per-slice pizza than lifesaver-style burritos because you can at least choose the order in which you consume the pizza’s ingredients.

I’m not entirely sure how that fits in but I’m extremely appreciative that you shared it. Now I know what to show to my mates next time we’re tripping and I want to cause lasting, permanent mental scarring.

Oop, apologies. I’ve edited my reply with the quote I was responding to. Hopefully that’ll clear up your confusion.

Hope they enjoy! Here’s a little something to help with the comedown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3cfQ2oOQc&t=23m31s

Merciful heavens

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.