Death of a Radium Girl

[Permalink]

1 Like

In 1924, Mae Keane got fired from a job painting watch dials. Failing at the job may have seriously altered her fate. The paint was full of radium.

ā€œMy father was a watch maker. He abandoned it when Einstein discovered time is relative.ā€

2 Likes

Radium?! I barely knew 'em!

Ah, those sad sorry days before tritium.

2 Likes

A painter of figures
that glow in the night,
you see us together,
chasing the moonlight,
my Radium Girl.

1 Like

I read an essay in a magazine (Scientific American?) years ago titled, if I recall correctly, ā€œThe Death of a Good Manā€, where the author, an archeologist working in Africa, wrote about the manager of the American-chain hotel nearest to his research camp. The archeologist would take a monthly, long drive in to the hotel so he could enjoy some a glass of whiskey in clean surroundings and to catch up on world news.

The hotelā€™s manager, was an obese, intelligent, gregarious man who had been sent to Europe to be educated by his village. The archeologist enjoyed conversations with this manager and liked him.

They had a ritual: Heā€™d measure the managerā€™s blood pressure, which was always dangerously high, and caution him to stop eating the highly processed food that the hotel served and to lose weight, otherwise he would die young. The man always replied that he needed to eat the hotelā€™s food to make sure it was of sufficient quality, and besides, the hotelā€™s quests didnā€™t want to be guests of a thin, severe man, but rather a fat, jolly manager. The manager was a hard worker, always under stress, and constantly taking antacids.

The essay was a eulogy to this ā€œlocal boy who did goodā€, who sacrificed himself, in a way, to help his local economy.

Would this not be the appropriate article for the Libertarian readers among us to explain how the invisible, corrective hand of the market would have eventually caused the company to change their practices without all that intrusive interference from, shudder, excessive regulations.

After enough of the women died horrible deaths from the radium poisoning, Iā€™m sure that the kindly and caring plant operators would have changed their procedures. Iā€™m sure as well that the company would never have filed bankruptcy to escape the liability for the lawsuits and ongoing health problems. We donā€™t need government interference or worker protections, let the market work!

2 Likes

Nonononono, YOU canā€™t send up the ā€˜Lā€™ signal and have them flock to Right Internet Wrongs. Only the Market can summon her defending hordesā€¦

2 Likes

These comments are all so inane.

Welcome to the internet.

And yet you felt compelled to inform us allā€¦with a comment. As we southerners like to say, ā€œHow niceā€.

2 Likes

Kurt Vonnegut had a character named Mary Kathleen Oā€™Looney in his book Jailbird that held the same occupation.

It is pretty depressing, but I guess thereā€™s not much to say. Itā€™s sad, and possibly interesting to note that oneā€™s failures can sometimes be a blessing.

What happened to the women is awful, and I donā€™t really find anything to laugh at in it. But thereā€™s not much else to say either.

As for ā€œwelcome to the internetā€ Iā€™d always thought boingboing commenters to be a cut above youtube, but I guess those days are done.

1 Like

Check out e.e. cummingsā€™ play
HIM for a contemporaneous take on the radium boom.

burp

3 Likes

Man, your knickers twist easily. Now that you have denigrated all the commenters on the BB board, feel free to move on to another site more suitable to your expectations, and more appreciative of your feelings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.