Debunking Microsoft's anti-Right-to-Repair FUD

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/30/nixing-the-fix.html

4 Likes

Are they really trying to claim that giving a technician access to your tablet’s battery will compromise the security of not only your tablet but all other Microsoft products? Because if that’s so, their vaunted security is about as robust as wet tissue paper.

12 Likes

This article makes me rethink using azure, might oughta build my own damn servers again.

7 Likes

consumers’ […] control of the device would be at risk

Wait, isn’t that the opposite of what TPM is for?

2 Likes

including dual-purpose security systems like the “Trusted Platform Module” (TPM) that are used to lock out rival operating systems as well as malicious actors

Is it possible to install an alternate OS onto an iPhone?

3 Likes

Never forget, M$ was on the verge of being broken up in 2000, just prior to the presidential election. After SCOTUS installed War Criminal Richard Cheney and his sidekick, George W. Bush, suddenly all government legal action against M$ ceased. This pile of filth still needs to be broken up, just like Amazon and Google. (Note that I don’t mention Facebook in this list because I don’t believe it needs to be “broken up” – rather, I believe it needs to face a corporate death penalty and the indictment of its officers. Facebook is evil, pure and simple. Zuckerberg is a dangerous sociopath.)

4 Likes

Just don’t buy products from Microsoft. Or Apple. They’re brittle, hard-to-repair, and run crappy, uninspectable software.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.