Declutter the Marie Kondo way with an $86 official KonMarie candle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/19/declutter-the-kon-marie-way-wi.html

4 Likes

I quote a youtube comment I once read:
“The Japanese are masters of hype. They will sell you a sea slug for 5000 dollars.”

9 Likes

Tsk, the boingboing store is slipping. It’s $86 down from $227!

10 Likes

irony

12 Likes

My KonMarie candle did not give me joy, so I had to throw it out.

19 Likes

If an $86 candle will clean my apartment- sign me up!

8 Likes

If by “clean,” you mean possibly set everything on fire, and you have to throw it all out- then yes!

11 Likes

I’m not paying someone so I can waste time worrying over the details?

6 Likes

No details! You’ll look at the charred remains of your apartment and say," This no longer brings me joy. I can say that with a certainty."

10 Likes

But - it’s neat and clean.

7 Likes

Marvel at the efficiency.

7 Likes

That’s all I ask - a clean - formerly well lighted place.

7 Likes

“Thank you for allowing me to convince you to throw away all your things,
now permit me to sell you their replacement.”

Those of us who smelled a rat at the outset suddenly don’t seem so misguided.

6 Likes

“It’s better to end than to mend”
-Brave New World

A candle is the perfect marie condo merch though! Just light it on fire and by the time it’s not making you happy anymore, it’s melted itself away :wink:

6 Likes

This is overpriced junk and that’s certainly ironic considering what she’s known for, although I don’t necessarily begrudge her selling the candle. Fools needing to be separated from their money and all of that, i doubt that anyone in financial need would ever consider wasting money on something like this so they aren’t the audience for Kondo.

There is a place for decluttering, and while i don’t subscribe to the concept of aggressively getting rid of everything that doesn’t bring you joy i do believe there’s a place for pairing down the amount of stuff we accumulate every now and then. It’s something that i desperately need to do before i move next year :grimacing:

3 Likes

A candle that costs $86 and has “Con” in its name?

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/574/takemymoney.jpg

1 Like

I do not have an available place to put this fire hazard that will, if used, coat my apartment in a fine layer of soot that leaves streaks and stains things while probably also causing me to have further sinus problems due to the smoke and evaporated wax. It would just be additional clutter, and so I shall follow Kondo’s advice, and simply not add to the clutter.

I started buying buying 86 dollar decluttering candles and its working as I can’t afford new clutter and had to sell my old clutter to afford the candles . looking forward to upgrading from multiple candles to the new $344.00 decluttering candle. these things are better than bitcoin. 5 stars * * * * *

3 Likes

My wife always wants me to thin out my {books computers old-school_RPG_stuff movies music} collection. She actually asked me once, “would it spark joy?”

It told her not always, but it will spark unhappiness when I try to rebuild the collection at five times the cost later down the road. I also changed the Netflix password so she stops watching that stuff.

2 Likes