'Deepfake face swap' app ZAO is making people afraid of the future

So, after the inevitable fall, humanity will rise again?

1 Like

We must’ve had very different history books and classes.

3 Likes

Not exactly- but watch staring in at 9:u5408:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d853h-8rsPQ

3 Likes

Apparently once you give them the photo they have a videotape of you agreeing to give them all rights, including you signing over your house and children to them.

5 Likes

Since I got no house, this must be fake! That’s not very deep of them. Should have gone for the soul, but they would have to litigate for that. Other claimants for that are plentiful.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that, given how much trouble Corridor Digital had to go to create their Keanu video, that the technology has moved on so far, so soon… But, then I guess that’s the point of AIs and their rapid evolution.

1 Like

Oh, let me be clear that I’m not giving up; that’s why I very deliberately chose the word discourage instead of disparage. I nonetheless recognize it’s going to be the mother of all uphill battles and we have to stay vigilant. But I won’t give up as long as I’m alive and I hope you’ll join me in never surrendering.

I’ve spilled a lot of pixels imagining a future that has survived and overcome this crisis, and I continue to think a lot about how they might have done that.

3 Likes

As far as I understand it, the underlying principle of “Deepfakes” is that the AI learns what your face looks and acts like based on analyzing a multitude of images, and then applies what it has learned on a face that has been blurred.
So this app, where you just upload one image, seems to be doing something else entirely.
My guess would be that it 3d-paints your uploaded face onto a surface that has already been mapped manually by somebody, wich would mean that you can’t apply it outside of the pre-purchased clips of Leonardo. This is actually a gimmick thats been available in select Xbox games for quite some time.
Still, a cool toy, but strictly technically speaking it is riding the coattails of another hype altogether. And the future is not here yet.

It’s just bits. I can tell by the pixels.

2 Likes

I don’t think we have much to worry about. I mean, there can’t be that many jabronies that would want to fake themselves as Di Caprio.

It’s amazing how quickly, “Here’s a fun thing” goes to, “We own your face now and you can’t appear in public without paying us royalties.”

3 Likes

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, a more immediate fakery issue - voice spoofing:

2 Likes

This whole story seems like an ad for the application. Does the app automatically include a swipe transition on faces or did the makers do that special for the posted video.

What is true here is that an an app is quickly and cheaply doing that you could do with photoshop for years, but unless you film a body double it is a complete non threat. We aren’t recognizing just for our faces, and auto manipulating an image to make a mouth open or eyes move will doubtless leave artifacts that any expert could spot. Captain Disillusion would be disappointed in you.

1 Like

I think what you should take from that is actually that this isn’t as much a threat. they went to great length to have someone of close build and chose clothing and lighting to make it harder to see the challenges in placing the digital face over a real one and they were doing it with a public figure that has lots of public images and videos of his face out there. I am sure there are lots of errors created that make the video fakes detectible.

1 Like

I think it’s more that we keep sliding further and further down a slope towards a point where we simply won’t be able to look at videos of things happening and have any faith in them at all. Sure, experts might still be able to analyze the videos for evidence of tampering, but that’s an arms race between fakers and analysis. Most people can’t hire experts to analyze videos every time they want to validate something.

And of course people have been faking things on video since there has been video (e.g. the moon landing*) but the question of how quick and easy it is to make a fake plays a big role in determining how prevalent fakes will be and how much they will impact our lives.

We’re going to have our grandchildren chiding us for believing things just because we saw them happen.

*This is a joke.

3 Likes

The old chestnut, “If it’s free, you’re not the customer, you’re the product,” is eternally relevant. What I find amazing is that people continue to be surprised that a free app would dare to have, like, a business plan.

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.