Deepfake Tom Cruise is alarmingly realistic

Originally published at: Deepfake Tom Cruise is alarmingly realistic | Boing Boing

1 Like

Wait, you mean there is a real Tom Cruise?!

21 Likes

We’re truly near an era when believing is seeing.

5 Likes

Bah, anybody with an e-meter can easily tell that ain’t Cruise—too many body thetans!

8 Likes

I wouldn’t worry. AI Deepfake technology is still years away from being able to replicate a normal human being.

9 Likes

Weirdly, while the video is fairly convincing (there’s some minor issues with light and contrast that give it away), the still images there look nothing like Tom Cruise. I’m not quite sure how that happened…

I am not fooled for a second. This Tom Cruise is filled with too much genuine human emotion.

5 Likes

You don’t even have to go full deep fake to ruin a celeb or politician’s career - a little word change here, a little voice alteration there and bam, you got yerself a plot point from Years and Years. I’ve seen better deep faked Toms…

sassy-justice-tom

Indistinguishable from reality!

2 Likes

Interesting choice on the sound. Presumably, a virtual microphone that didn’t echo would distract from the cell phone aesthetic and clue people into the fact that it wan’t “real.”

Engage

1 Like

“Alarmingly realistic”

I’m not sure if I’d be more alarmed by this comedian walking up to me, or the real Tom Cruise.

Not sure if it would have fooled me, but right off the height does not look right. He is not a tall man.

2 Likes

There is no need for real Tom Cruise, why would we need a fake one too?

1 Like

Which is why it’s so hilarious that they cast him as Jack Reacher, a literary character who is all but defined by his towering, physically intimidating presence. It’s as if they cast Jason Momoa to play Tyrion Lannister instead of Khal Drogo.

2 Likes

dont know if this is a testament to the horrors of deepfakes or simply more confirmation that tom cruise doesn’t emote like human beings do

Lee Child, the author of the Jack Reacher series, said he was fine with the 5’7" Tom Cruise being cast as the 6’5" character. What was not reported was whether Lee Child could be heard riffling through stack after stack of $100 bills while giving the interview approving of Cruise. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure Lee Child was smart enough not to bash the first feature film adapted from one of his novels before he even had a chance to get his cut of the box office returns.

2 Likes

Well the two do have at least one thing in common. I can imagine both of them traveling with nothing but their wallet.

Of course there is a big difference between Jack reacher’s wallet and Tom Cruise’s wallet… :slight_smile:

(Also, I never understood how Jack Reacher got so many dates in the books when he doesn’t travel with so much as a toothbrush or a change of underwear.)

Jack Reacher is basically a fantasy-fulfillment character for people who like to imagine a life with no obligations, no attachments, no fears and no fucks given. He’s the living embodiment of True American Alpha Male Freedom™, so obviously he’s able to bang hot chicks all the time even though he went through his entire life without ever doing a load of laundry.

1 Like

Was the polar bear real?