This deepfake of Tom Cruise discussing industrial cleaning is too good to be called uncanny

Originally published at: This deepfake of Tom Cruise discussing industrial cleaning is too good to be called uncanny | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Animation still works for me.

3 Likes

… and today on Youtube, I saw a deepfake of Jim Carey playing every original Star Trek TOS character. What a time to be alive!

5 Likes

one day a criminal case will come to court, and a lawyer for someone like tom cruise will have to convince people not to believe their own eyes because of this motherf**king deepfake technology. and if it isn’t a great lawyer, like someone such as tom cruise could afford, it’s possible they will not convince enough jurors that it isn’t their client they are seeing on video. or am i really overthinking this?

7 Likes

Eeeesh. SP Alert! amirite?
Classic dyslexia jab

Shallow face fake with deep cgi and acting.

2 Likes

‘You can’t do it by just pressing a button.’

Yet.

I just watch Captain Disillusion explain how they did the computer effects of Flight of the Navigator. The computer had 100mb of storage, which means it could hold 2 rendered frames at a time. So they made two frames, transferred it to a machine that would transfer the render to film, and then deleted the renders and move on to the next one.

People in their homes with basic computers can do better effects. Granted not at a push of a button, but with considerable ease compared to the line by line coding they used to do.

3 Likes

Not at all. In fact, you’re (we’re) not thinking about it enough. It’s going to get real freaking scary trying to figure out what is and isn’t for real in this jacked up digital joint. Then again, there’s also gonna be some really cool shit come out of it, I’m sure.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me that South Park isn’t funny.

1 Like

The sequel to Risky Business should be called Riskier Business (obviously).

2 Likes

I think we are already there, but in the other way:
Sure, there is very clear video of the defendant committing this crime, but, people of the jury, can we be sure it isn’t one of those “Deep Fakes” that you have heard about?

2 Likes

So long as I never have to hear the phrase “blockchain or it didn’t happen”.

2 Likes

I can see the ads for this product now:

All the Cruise! With none of the proselytization!

1 Like

… yet

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.