Deformed mutant daisies photographed 100km or so from Fukushima Japan

Just random huh! Then how do you explain the fact that these mutant daisies glow in the dark and eat Tokyo.

4 Likes

I made the headline more accurate. Saying it was ā€œnear Fukushimaā€ is like saying NYC is ā€œnearā€ Woodstock.

2 Likes

After reading the comments, i see alot of nay sayers First, i have heard of other pictures of mutations, but i have yet to see them. This is the first. I think this is done by the Secrecy Law put in place after fukashima to keep the information controlled. They monitor there internet tightly. This one slipped by.

While these daisy can be mutation due to radiation, there is no way to verify that. But then the same goes for cancer, they usually cant tell you where that comes from and just guess. Educated guess, but a guess no less.

Forget the measurements that we dont understand. Let me put this in perspective for you. Each reactor held 50 TONS of material. 3 cores are missing, thats 150 tons, and they estimate that 40% of that was vaporized and put into the enviorment durning the first 3 weekes of the accident. Using there measurements, just grams of this stuff is deadly for a large areaā€¦ just grams, and tons was released. Think what you want, but i dont need an expert to tell me whats going on. The Pacific ocean is contaminated from japan to the shores of america. Not good!

Personally in my 55 years i have been lucky and cancer has never touched my life personally. In the past 6 months it has touched me twice. A close family friend had a back ache, went to the doctors and riddled with cancer, start treatment, 4 months later she was dead at 45. Now father in law just diagnosed with throat cancer, treatment starting. Like i said they can not tell what causes the cancer, and these cancers could very well be a result of fukashima, an no one could tell anyone it is not.

So in conclusion, your opinion is the only opinion that matters. It is those opinions that keep your family and you safe in this world. I dont think i would entrust this responsiblity to anyone. Educate yourself and be safe.

Whose measurements? A source for that would be useful.

[eye roll]

I was refering to the ream and severt measurments in particular, but i guess that would go for most of the double talk they use to confuse those that get lost in those measurements. For sure, tons of this stuff, and stuff covers over 1000 different types of radionuclides, was released. Not hard to understand tons, one ton is suffiecent to understand the issue, when grams are deadly. So the 20 to 50 tons being released into the enviorment is being rather redundant.

Ive been watching fukashima since it started, and i have read alot. So to quote one source is not easy. I do have one that i like. The Asian Pacific Journal has a paper by Kyle Cleveland on the Moblizing Nuclear bias. In that paper it contains freedom of information act of what the USA goverment knew and attempted to help with. Undisputable. In a nutshell it reveals that they knew the plants were melting by the readings they were getting as it was happening. If your goverment knows this then, why dont you? and if this is true, why havnt the people been educated to protective measures? Instead of what you are faced with.

On a side note about Twitter: NO FAIR, the Japanese and even more so the Chinese get to say so much more per tweet then we do. We have a 140 character limit, the chinese get 140 word limit because each word is a character.

2 Likes

The character limit is bullshit anyway. I tweeted out a photo that was 2MiB. So, about 2097152 characters worth of data. Why canā€™t I just tweet out a 100 word essay if I wanted?

3 Likes

Hamilton Gardens (New Zealand), December 27 2014. Happy?

6 Likes

Print it , take a picture screen capture it (save a tree), upload it?

1 Like

Thatā€™s dumb. I mean it works, and people do it all the time. But itā€™s a horrifically ugly workaround if you ask me. Tweets couldnā€™t possibly have the character limit baked in.

And seriously, the 140 character limit is debilitating to real communication beyond slogans.

2 Likes

You say that like itā€™s a bad thing.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never really used twitter. I think the character limit was part of the appeal, what made it different. Maybe now that it is so popular they could allow for an occasional extended tweet? But couldnā€™t people with more to say just give a quick summary and link to something longer?

1 Like

Unfortunately, in a fight for attention between science and DAISIES TURNING INTO BUTTS, science cannot hope to win.

I used to get super-agitated about the nuclear power conversation, but Iā€™m starting to think, you know what, sometimes you have to pick your fights. Of course weā€™d be better off going 100% nuclear, but itā€™s not going to happen, and the opposition would make it too expensive to be worth it anyway. So maybe we give up, and hope people can be a bit more reasonable when they rediscover the idea 100 years from now.

And then your argument can be, hey, man, I oppose nuclear power too, but let me explain how your pal Science means you donā€™t need to worry about that butt daisy.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen this on dandelions a few times. My favourite flower mutation, though, is peloria, where the plant switches from asymmetric to symmetric flowers:

5 Likes

You say that like itā€™s a bad thing ā„¢

FTFY

1 Like

Sure. But Iā€™m pretty linkshy. I donā€™t like url-shorteners, and all links on twitter use the t.co link shortener. I need a URL expander for twitter, if Iā€™m going to follow the links there. Otherwise I have literally no idea what a pile of shit I might be wading into blindly following someone elseā€™s proxy for a link. Iā€™d at least like to know the domain theyā€™re sending me to.

Iā€™m relatively paranoid about internet hygieneā€¦ Not nearly as paranoid as one of my work colleagues (he brings his own private laptop with him to work and tunnels to his home network, then VPNs out to the Net from there for anything that isnā€™t strictly work-related, is constantly sending out emails about zero days etc. Honestly he belongs on the Net-security team or Net-admins team, instead of the helldesk with schmucks like me) but you may have noticed me here saying someoneā€™s sending me to a shitty site asking to run scripts from X many domains in order to display the front page, etc. I stand by it. If a website requires scripting from known ad networks and several other domains for its front page to even display a ā€œhello worldā€, then itā€™s not worth even going there.

It is abundantly obvious from this statement that you donā€™t know what you are talking about. I donā€™t know what you have been reading, but grams of various radionuclides are not necessarily deadly. It depends entirely on the specific radionuclides, Xenon radionuclides are largely harmless to humans, because we cannot absorb it. I donā€™t know where youā€™re getting 1000s of tons of effectively aerosolized ā€œcoriumā€ in the atmosphere, nuclear fuel is incredibly dense. Itā€™s metal. Itā€™s not going to be released into the atmosphere in such substantial quantities. If youā€™re talking about steam laced with radionuclides, most of that tonnage is water. Water that has been made radioactive by neutron activation will have lost pretty much all of its radioactivity in a week.

As for Japanese censorship. Mostly the government has been less than completely honest. But if theyā€™re so great at obscuring the truth why canā€™t they keep a guy with a camera and Twitter account from exposing the truth?

1 Like

I am far more frightened by the bees in the top photoā€¦

Even if you were right in saying that 150 tons of radioactive material was released (and it wasnā€™t, most of that mass would be water, containing a far lower mass of actual radioactive isotopes - probably something in the region of a couple of kg), most of it would have ended up in the sea.

Which would be the best place for it really, the sea currently contains more Uranium dissolved in it than there is in all the Uranium deposits on dry land, as well as having large amounts of Cesium and other radionuclides (most of which occur from natural processes, but thereā€™s also some in there that came from nuclear weapons testing fallout). Adding a couple hundred tonnes more radioactive material would make close to zero difference to already incredibly low radioactivity of the sea. The sea is very big, and when you put stuff in it it either dissolves or dissipates (dilutes) very rapidly (even heavy metals). Also, a lot of the isotopes will already have decayed to stable non radioactive stuff. There was some detected bioaccumulation in seaweeds and some marine life directly after the accident in the locality, but it very quickly dropped back down and thereā€™s zero evidence any of it made itā€™s way up the food chain.

1 Like