Deformed mutant daisies photographed 100km or so from Fukushima Japan

I know I shouldn’t but…

Sorry, but this is a frightening (and frightened) set of statements. You and your family are at least partially kept safe by the so-called “opinions” of hundreds, if not thousands, of other people. I’ll admit I don’t know much about you, but I’m relatively confident saying that you didn’t make all of the judgement calls that went into designing and building your water filtration system, that airplane you ride in, your house, the food you buy at the grocery store, etc. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, there is real expertise out there in the world and assuming that it’s all a bunch of guesswork that is functionally equivalent to your lightly-researched gut feeling is what’s really dangerous. Believing that your opinion is superior to anyone else’s, regardless of their background and experience, is the absolute surest way to make sure you remain ignorant forever.

Amen, brother. Just maybe not in the way you meant it…

2 Likes

Oh shut up. I’ve been bitten by spiders at Three Mile Island, Chernobyl & Fukushima and I still don’t have superpowers!!! You nuclear boosters can just go play on the freeway!

3 Likes

You said alot but then u said nothing that changes my opinion. Theres so many elements involved, and im not an expert in this stuff, but i do understand the seriousness of the matter. Your going on about xeon which you say poses no danger to humans because it cant cantaminate you, Wheather thats true or not i dont know. But talk about tritiium. The stuff they cant filter out of the water, is easily bondable to water and is known to be in the rain. An the kicker… its asorbable through the skin. Why do they not talk about that? They say its because of the relative short half life of 12 years verses the one that will be around forever as far as we are concerned. But that does not diminish the danger it presents. An if the goverments sensors are telling them that the plants was melting, that is already in the atmosphere. Not what might of happened,

on the japenese secrecy law and how that was enacted. They shut off the internet for japan in oct , and in nov , I think that was 2013 but not sure,they passed the secrecy law, and they slowly turned back on the internet, working out there censor programs.

I doubt that anyone expected that.

1 Like

Simple question: Is there anything that could change your opinion? Because if not, I see no reason to waste more time here.

1 Like

Sounds like Monsanto’s been up to their tricks…again.

I use to think like you 15 years ago or so. In an idealist world i guess the experts would be experts, but in our world its best to take things with a grain of salt unless you see otherwise. Fukushima is a great example. Until that accidenr my attitude towards nuclear was that there was experts an surly they know what they are doing and no one would let them do anything stupid. Wrong. After this accident i actually looked at the issues, and nuclear should of never been left out of the lab till they could control it in all stages. Now im anti nuclear. On the water filtration system, you trust them and they put floride in the water, bet you think thats a vitamin
I cant be an “expert” at everything, but i can read enough to at least get a vague understanding of what is what. Like in this nuclear issue, what is radiation and what is radioactive contamination, an there interaction. Radioactive contamination is the issue here, not the radiation. After the elements are metabolized, then the radiation becomes the issue.

Knowledge is key here, I read alot, outside of work and gardening, all i do is read. Some is true some is false, some is just irrelavent. The brain is a beautiful thing, it sorts the info out and in the checks and balances you see the overall picture. Knowledge is what forms your opinions. You cant tell me what i know or dont know… Because my opinion isnt the same as yours im ignorant. Do you thihnk that changed my opinion? Of course i hope the pilot can fly the plan an so forth. Yes there is experts. But not all experts are experts and it would pay to look into things for yourself to validate what your being told, You check into it and it is in line with what is being told to you, then you go with it. On this nuclear, what they say isnt what you read, an it is sooo far off i cant see how people can say the stuff they say. Are they that blind or mislead. Just go with what the experts say? I dont know.

That’s possibly the wrongest thing I’ve ever heard. We’ve proven over and over again that the brain naturally makes up just-so stories, doesn’t see the overall picture but instead focuses on details, and will reject most information no matter how well supported, if it conflicts with previously held beliefs.

Have a little intellectual humility.

3 Likes

Probably not on fukushima. You would have to say something that could be backed up and indisputable. On u tube there is a Dr Helen Caldicott, impecable credentials. An there is another guy beautifulgirlbydana has just completed a trip along the british columbia coast. The info is out there. The kyle cleveland paper, that tells you what our goverment was saying about the accident behind closed doors. And they are doing this by what they are reading by there sensors, by what has already been released. This is not guessing. That is Fact. Show me stuff like that, and ill check it out.

really, well my mind works pretty good for me. An im amazed how stuff ive read years ago corralate to some new info, You have to experince this in order to understand i guess. Make up stories… you would be suprised what stories you have been told.

3 Likes

Sigh
I’ll try, but so far you haven’t been very interested in fact… at all. Read this book. It’s short.

1 Like

https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=flower%20fasciation&tbs=imgo:1

1 Like

In other words, don’t be “hyperbolic”

Amirite?

3 Likes

Helen Caldicott does not have impeccable credentials, the Dr in her name is because she’s a physician, she doesn’t have a doctorate in anything related to nuclear physics, biophysics or epidemiology, and she seems to understand none of these things well. Not that I think a doctorate is a requirement for anything per se, but it was you who brought up credentials.

Geroge Monbiot called her out on her bullshit several years ago, here’s their correspondence: Correspondence with Helen Caldicott – George Monbiot, this is a good summary from the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/apr/13/anti-nuclear-lobby-interrogate-beliefs

lol @ that beautifulgirlbydana guy, I tried listening to him for a few minutes but couldn’t take it any more, he’s clearly not quite all there, seems like some kind of conspiracy nut.

I’ve scanned the Kyle Chandler paper, he’s a Professor of Sociology btw, and it doesn’t seem to say anything at all of interest about the health impacts of the incident. Despite all the scaremongering in there, there is no good reason to believe a single person will die as a result of the radiation released from Fukushima. This after a natural disaster that killed around 20,000 people! People’s priorities and risk calculation abilities really are terrible.

You claim to possess a brain that “sorts the info out” which allows you to “you see the overall picture”, it’s surprising then that it seems to have conveniently ignored all the info in this thread that contradicts all the other “info” you’ve already absorbed. If you want other people to take you seriously, it might be a good idea to respond in good faith to the arguments put forward already in this thread.

Anti-nuclear propaganda is in the same class of idiocy as anti-gmo, anti-fluoridation, anti-vax, and climate change denial.

4 Likes

In the old days it was somewhat relevant that Tweets fit into a text message.

But even if the exact number is arbitrary, the shortness of tweets also influences the overall user experience. You can build all the interfaces on all platforms around the assumption that tweets are short. Tweets are so short that if you see them at all you usually read them completely. It also means that others can interact with tweets without much need for an elaborate quote function or context in their replies.

Finally, in my experience with other social media posts directed at the general public that couldn’t be expressed that briefly or split into independent posts (and aren’t copied and pasted) are usually the exception anyway.

Be gentle he is new here.

@joshua_jackson please stick around an maybe learn something! Come enjoy some of our fun games, perhaps you like counting?

Negative curvature is negative.

1 Like

You can, but it has to be a screenshot of your essay.

1 Like