Delta forced passenger to sit in feces: "sit in your seat or you can be left behind."

I am just going to say, I have flown on a good number of Southwest flights over the years, and all the crazy shit (har) I hear about other airlines? I just can’t even slightly imagine it happening on Southwest. Like, at all. Their staff tend to be in universally good spirits, to the degree where I associate that as the core brand essence. A lot of the staff will be joking on the PA, it’s pretty entertaining. Their logo is a heart, for goodness’ sake. They are the one airline in the USA I can think of who is doing it right. But you just gotta deal with no assigned seats.

8 Likes

Read about this yesterday and there are multiple levels of failure on this, it would take a while to unpack everything Delta and its crew did wrong. They had a biohazard kit on the plane and they did not give the customer anything from it to sanitize themselves, instead they gave them a tiny bottle of gin. When the customer complained about the shit the plane by protocol needed to be cleared, but also when the incident with the feces originally occurred the cleanup crew needed to be notified about the biohazard and the plane could not be used until it was taken care of. The cleanup crew never arrived but that doesn’t excuse the flight crew, the plane flat out should have never been used and they instead tried to tell the passengers to deal with it.
When the passenger complained to management about the incident at the gate the manager got very confrontational and threatened the passenger to deal with it or not fly. Etc, etc.

Seriously this is the kind of… business… that lawyers dream about. Currently the airlines is offering the guy 50k to shut up and go away, i sure hope he sues.

18 Likes

…Because none of them can truthfully make that claim…?

1 Like

Yeah, I wind up flying Southwest a few times a year and agree that it’s pretty pleasant, in the context of air travel overall.

This Delta story seems like it should be a guaranteed FAA fine. I can’t think of a situation where you could require a customer to remain in physical contact with human feces and not get massively penalized.

6 Likes

Well, for 40 years I’ve read how deregulating and allowing the free market to work, through the miracle of competition, was going to guarantee that services provided would continually improve, that the customer was of prime importance, and that market competition would ensure that bad business behavior would result in business failure.

Instead, we get an onslaught of corporate corruption and blatant disregard for customer service across multiple industries (oh yeah, and cartels too!).

You’d think this fucking ideology would have died by now…

11 Likes

IANAL, but I’d think every passenger on that plane has grounds to sue. As you say, it was a bio-hazard.

5 Likes

Was once on a United plane in Honolulu, full of submariners just off a tour. One of them had overdone it a little the night before and crapped all over his seat. The flight was delayed and a crew came on and removed and replaced the seat - nobody complained about the delay.

8 Likes

‘If the cleaning crew didn’t do their job, that’s not my problem.’
Wrong. If you are a Delta manager, then it IS your problem. This is ‘Being a Manager’ 101.

9 Likes

Until now, I kind of thought that was Delta. Or at least that’s how it looked to my special snowflakemedallion eyes.

I thought shitty moves were United-territory.

Clearly this is a training opportunity and, btw, NFW am I sitting in that. Biohazard, and I’m not even squicked by how dirty the seat trays are…

Yep… if southwest doesn’t fly there. I don’t fly there.

1 Like

Yeah i would assume so too, which is why the plane should have never been boarded hands down. Its not known how infectious the waste was and everyone on that flight could have come down with something (in a worst case scenario). I know i would not want to be on a plane like that

6 Likes

So if I’m in a situation like this, what can I do? Whip out my phone and search for the FAA’s number?

1 Like

I’m grateful that in many tens of thousands of miles of air travel, I haven’t had something this bad happen to me. But if I did, I would take out my phone and document everything I could and call a lawyer pronto. The reality is that as a passenger you have extremely limited leverage while you’re in the terminal or plane. You can fly or not fly, but that’s about it. As with police abuse, you’re only real power is later in court.

4 Likes
1 Like

Southwest, and Alaska are two of my tolerable airlines. Haven’t been treated poorly by either.

4 Likes

“Because sir, it is your turn.”

4 Likes
3 Likes

I guess it could be baby shit, but I just wonder otherwise - how did it get there.

2 Likes

From the article i had read previously it was likely diarrhea from a sick elderly man

3 Likes

Eeeeeewwwwwwww!

2 Likes