Democratic lawmaker says women invite sexual harassment with the way they dress

To hell with her for reinforcing the myth that men don’t have any self control. Apologists like her keep men like Trump in power.

17 Likes

Time to retire. Don’t give me bullshit about balances of power. She’s not on the side of decent humanity, regardless of party.

11 Likes

I think she’s right about the dress codes causing problems. Let’s get rid of the dress codes altogether. Men shouldn’t have to wear suits and ties.

I’ve always believed the “professional look” was simply a way to make someone appear more authoritative and knowledgeable. It’s just window dressing…

16 Likes

Wait, they make the men wear suits and ties? Geez! There went my political aspirations.

3 Likes

Maybe you didn’t notice, but this entire article is all about “this kind of thing” being challenged.

6 Likes

I’ve pondered your stance on this and decided that ‘fark’ is a decent substitute (all the fricatives you love with half the profanity!) whose usage in North American English suggests that, within this community, its use cannot be construed to suggest that its intended target deserves to be knocking boots with anyone.*

So, fark her.

*In the word’s native lands of Oz and New Zealand, I have no idea if such transitive use exists.

4 Likes

insert image from google search "still not asking for it"

6 Likes

Yeah us dudes are just bundles of uncontrollable urges. Need to have some sort of headset lust detector that whacks us with a mallet. Wonder if the Acme company makes them.

4 Likes

Pretty much this is how i feel about it as well. Suggesting that men can’t inherently control themselves and that as such it is up to women to curb how they look is demeaning to women and dismissive of what men’s responsibilities are.

The problem here is lecherous men doing the harassing, so go after the ones doing the harassing. Ignoring bad behavior does not fix the problem, it’s like asking murder victims to stop being so damn killable.

I do understand the need for an appropriate dress code, but there already is one. And i can guarantee you even if a woman were to be conservatively dressed they would still get harassed.

11 Likes

I dunno, maybe she has a point. I mean, if she didn’t want a bunch of people propositioning her about pearl necklaces, she shouldn’t send such provocative signals with her jewelry.

5 Likes

More like born in 1946.
It’s going to be more common with someone from that generation to make comments like that.

3 Likes

I get part of her point. Why do so many institutions have strict dress codes for me while women can wear leggings and a t-shirt (“blouse”), I’m not so much complaining that I want women to have the same strict dress code, more that I’d love to lose the tie. Regardless, this myth that men are incapable of controlling themselves has to stop.

5 Likes

I won’t defend any of the drivel this woman said but thus far the only male politicians who have been ejected from office by the #metoo movement were the ones who were actually doing the harassing and assaulting, not the ones making excuses for it.

16 Likes

My stance is that when done right, sex is a very pleasurable experience for everyone involved… so it makes no sense to wish something so positive on someone who deserves a decidedly negative reaction - it’s like saying you want to reward bad behavior.

Fark works, but I’ll stick with ‘unfuck’; if for no other reason, because of the surprised responses such a declaration often gets.

I always have it on hand these days:

https://global.discourse-cdn.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/9/0/90fd70f6a5d9d12756b748f8c2f0c2faba947d82_1_690x499.jpg

31 Likes

I reckon there have probably been studies on how success of a legislative measure may be correlated with the appearance of the people involved in presenting or opposing the measure.

But opening up the dress code would still allow some people (men and women, to be sure) to dress more effectively than others. Clearly the dress code should be restricted to featureless white jumpsuits for all parties.

(Ted Chiang posited an interesting take on this idea in his short story, “Liking What You See: A Documentary”.)

4 Likes

I would be all for both genders of politicians wearing the exact same outfit

8 Likes

Fuck is … commonly used as an intensifier or to denote disdain. … In modern usage, the term fuck and its derivatives (such as fucker and fucking) can be used as a noun, a verb, an adjective, an interjection, or an adverb

the fuck?

3 Likes
1 Like

did someone say nope?

2 Likes

That would be a Yup!

2 Likes