Democrats question Trump about that illegal donation from Egypt

Originally published at: Democrats question Trump about that illegal donation from Egypt - Boing Boing

6 Likes

It’s not a bribe if I didn’t uphold my end of the bargain! /s

21 Likes

Bets on how SCOTUS will rule on the legal immunity of Republican presidential nominees?
Any takers?

15 Likes

I get that house dems don’t have the ability to subpoena anyone right now, since they are in the minority.

What I don’t entirely get is why the senate dems, who are in the majority, aren’t subpoenaing Trump over this.

Is it because such a move would have to overcome a filibuster by Republicans?

12 Likes

There should be a Guinness Book of Records entry for most individual crimes committed for which the legal system has been endlessly delayed, judges bought off, point of order issues manufactured, or laws actually rewritten such that the miscreant has avoided any proper penalty [throat rattling sigh]

Here’s a strange posting on DailyKos which attempts to summarize in a 2694 word sentence all that trump has done to the nation.

18 Likes

neither was really followed up on in the media

Well, you know, priorities. Joe Kahn thought “Joe Biden is so old!” was more newsworthy.

8 Likes

Could they not have left off that last part. If he was taking gifts from someone as warm and fuzzy as Mister Rogers, it would still be illegal and worth investigating.

13 Likes

It would be seen as a purely political move, unfortunately, and would only help him. In fact, if he wants to murder someone in cold blood, he might want to get to it. Indictment for anything he does at this point will just be seen as an unfair political attack by his followers, “undecideds,” independents, and the media.

5 Likes

You really don’t want to make this kind of record because someone else will try to break it like it’s something should be broken. Better leave the ranking to historians.

4 Likes

The sentence is almost a work of art, but too long to quote in full on a regular basis, but the last four words of the article do the heavy lifting.

“But other than that …”

7 Likes

This is a rare occasion when Trump did hold up his end of the bargain, generally shaping policy that was friendly to the dictatorship (e.g. releasing several billion dollars of frozen Egyptian money, for example). They are the rare entity who can say they absolutely got their money’s worth, and then some, out of their dealings with Trump.

It’s relevant though, because this was a bribe. If they got illegal contributions from Mister Rogers, there would have been no quid-pro-quo (or if there was, it would be benign), but Trump shaped policy to benefit the man he described as his “favorite dictator.”

7 Likes
8 Likes

Clearly, Trump wasn’t being bribed, nor was it a campaign contribution, he was obviously being given a personal gratuity in return for services already rendered, which the friends of democracy in the Supreme Court have already determined is completely legal.

So that’s alright, then.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.