Demolition of derelict robotic parking garages reveals entombed vehicles, trapped for 15 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/23/paleo-internet-of-shit.html

4 Likes

They better check the trunks.

28 Likes

best A.I. Artificial Intelligence cosplay ever.

3 Likes

The four I see appear to be the same make and model (3 white, 1 gray). Perhaps they were used by the garage owners to ‘get about’, hence their abandonment?

3 Likes

Any Yugo’s in there, they’re classics.

download

11 Likes

Wonder if any of them were stolen and just being stashed there for a bit when it got shut down.

I one time had my car locked in a parking garage. Pissed me off. In hind sight, the very confusing entrance sign had a close time, but I naively assumed that was to PARK your car. That one could still drive out. I was wrong.

5 Likes

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/has-the-mystery-of-the-cars-in-edinburgh-s-robot-car-park-been-solved-1-4670137

8 Likes

One time as a kid my friend’s mom took a bunch of us sledding. We went to a pretty popular sledding spot that happened to be in a local cemetery. The cemetery had a big hill in the back, unused part and was pretty remote from all the graves.

Anyway, when we tried to leave we found that it was after hours and the gate was closed. It never occurred to us that a cemetery would close.

You could say we were “dying” to get out.

Womp womp

8 Likes

A Fiat Uno stowed where no one was able to find it, eh?

4 Likes

“Mr Wick, we found your car. Sorry about the inconvenience.”

9 Likes

For that matter, I’ve not seen an Austin Maestro in a loooong time. As last time I was in one, circa 1993, the wheel fell off it whilst making a left turn, that’s maybe not a surprise.

5 Likes

Most likely what we would call supermarket rash. And if one was going to knock Mohamed Al-Fayed’s Merc off the road a Uno would seem to be a poor choice.

1 Like

So that’s where I left my Yugo!

4 Likes

Cars getting abandoned in parking lots… I suppose that’s something that just happens eh? And I guess the operators of this robot lot never noticed or never cared about a few permanent residents.

Would be pretty funny if robot parking lot operators were reading this story and then checking their own inventory and finding they are half full of abandoned vehicles after decades. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just find it amazing that there’s no automated report showing which stalls have cars that haven’t moved for some period of time. You’d think this would be an inevitable accumulation as people die off and the family has no idea where they parked, never mind the obvious dumping of stolen cars and whatnot.

2 Likes

That was my initial assumption, but…

That better explains the number of cars. Though does this mean that a certain number of lot spaces were permanently taken up with “testing” cars?

It makes sense that in a complicated system there would be a way to run tests without involving customers. For example when I worked on access control systems we had tickets which were used for testing prior to events.

If your parking machine is capable of destroying or losing cars, you would want to send in a scratch car to test it out.

2 Likes

This seems like it was likely the residence parking for the apartment building from High Rise.

I had hopes that this involved one of my favorite Scientologist fiascos, Robotic Parking. The owner changed his name from Gerhard Haag‎ to “Royce Savoy Monteverdi”, possibly to escape the reputation.

If the software vendor had any ethics at all they would have coded the system so that on license expiry you can only remove cars, not add new ones.