Denmark is killing all its minks over COVID concerns

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/04/denmark-is-killing-all-its-minks-over-covid-concerns.html

1 Like

Soooo… discount coats?

That does suck, though. Seems a bit extreme, but I know with other diseases in agriculture, bad ones can destroy a whole industry for awhile.

4 Likes

Not going to be able to weasel their way out this time.

12 Likes

I’d upvote that for cleverness, but I’m downvoting it for sadness

22 Likes

They were going to kill them anyway, this just accelerated the time frame.

4 Likes

“Fur is murder!”

Hold my beer…

2 Likes

That’s a good opportunity to end this awful industry

6 Likes

If all of those minks were going to be killed for their fur anyway, then this is arguably an improvement, as they won’t have offspring who grow up to the same fate.

That’s assuming this would be the end of the mink fur industry, instead of just importing some minks from elsewhere and starting fresh, of course.

5 Likes

i associate mink fur with elderly women. I think that mink insutry is going to decline.

I go to buy groceries in an hard discount and in winter i see grannies with a mink fur that surely had seen better times gettin like a lipstick and the put back on the aisle and i get sad… maybe she had better times and something happened like her husband died and she hac had to count the cents

1 Like

Here’s a notification I wouldn’t have expected from Plague, inc

2 Likes

3 Likes

Agree. I hope that they are euthanized as humanely as possible.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking.

No use crying over spilled mink.

9 Likes

Harsh but fair.

3 Likes

Was it hard to get more than 6 foot from a mink farm? Oh, COVID was mutating harmfully there. Still, no mention of a mink seed vault or keeping a drawer of frozen mink for a decade later. Guess we’ll just use those toupee’ caterpillars.

4 Likes

Yep. Happened here in the Netherlands too and it has totally eradicated the industry. Farms had to be cleared and with a planned ban on the horizon new investments would be pointless.

Fact is that the fur industry is strongly opposed by many in Europe and there were many efforts to control or even ban for-fur-farming in many countries.

We may have found a silver lining :confused:

2 Likes

Wow. it’s almost like stuffing loads of animals close together in unsanitary conditions is a breeding grounds for all kinds of plagues. If only somebody had warned us…

I’m sorry for the minks, and I hope the end result is new regulation for mink farming (and all other animals) that makes this business financially unattractive.

I would assume that the same shit is already happening within other mass produced animals and animal products (like dairy and eggs), but we’re currently turning a blind eye.

2 Likes

I suspect after a good dry cleaning they will still make very nice apparel.
Tho it might not pan out that way.

No apologies to Rolf…but…
Cull me minks til their dead Ned
Cull me minks til their dead
so we tanned their hides when they died Clyde
and that’s them hangin’ in the shed

4 Likes

That’s quite true, but there’s even more at stake here than the industry - the mutated virus has jumped to gap and spread to humans. The COVID virus is going to (and has) mutate and we’ll have to adapt, but the closer to the point of origin we can do that the better.

2 Likes