Dentists can smell fear and it may impair their performance

Isn’t intensifying your attack in response to prey’s fear chemicals not generally classified as ‘impaired performance’?

Dealing with this now. Had an accident that dislocated and fractured shoulder. At the same time shattered 8 teeth, some were porcelain crowns. The entire bill after insurance for the shoulder surgical replacement about 4k USD. The teeth have cost me about 8k so far and will cost about 12k to finish. I have Dental and Heath Insurance.

It’s heartbreaking.

4 Likes

I know you’re mostly kidding, but I think it’s smelling fear in a pack mate that makes you edgy and wary, which is bad for doing careful work that needs your full concentration. A primal warning system is activated, and it’s so deep it doesn’t have an off button, even if you are ironically the source.

Okay, so there’s two things I’m irredeemably squicked out by, and one of them is scolopendrid centipedes and dentists about to stick metal into my head.

1 Like

How did they find a picture of Andrew Dice Clay at the dentist for this story?

I’m sorry to hear that the plastic sealant lasted less than 10 years for you, but coatings do require some maintenance, whether it’s the sealant on teeth or the paint on your doorjamb, right? The quality of the painter and the amount of abrasive wear over time are both variable, so conditions need to be monitored. I know three people (two of them my children) who got ten years with no cavities from a single application of sealant, but perhaps they had an unusually good experience. The fact remains that very few dentists aggressively market sealants, but I suppose it’s possible that they don’t really work for anyone but my kids.

In re: mercury amalgam fillings, if you believe that mercury levels in the body aren’t influenced by dental amalgam or that mercury levels in the body don’t influence health despite the research and peer reviewed papers that say otherwise, I’m sorry, but today I am too full of weltschmerz to try to dissuade you. I’ll settle for pointing out that superior filling materials are available; I’ve got a mouth full of 'em.

Terribly sorry to hear this and hope that you are healing well.

If you can get your dentist to do them, get any future crowns in gold instead of porcelain. I replaced my shattered porcelain with gold after I found out that dentists tend to prefer porcelain for their patients, but gold for themselves. My gold crowns only cost $20 more than porcelain ones.

The argument against gold teeth is cosmetic; they are associated with race and class distinctions that might influence your social status.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.