Department store apologizes for selling child's party dress called "Lollita"

Originally published at: Department store apologizes for selling child's party dress called "Lollita" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

For the love of money…

7 Likes

worst naming fail since the Adolf Mustache Comb

4 Likes

My guess it was named by someone too young to know about the book/movie and instead thought of the song by Alizée without understanding the reference. The dress is somewhat similar to the one in the video.

5 Likes

More like LOL-lita amirite?

Advertisers need to read more Nabokov.

3 Likes

I always thought there was something up with that name, but I never knew the details. I guess there probably is a list of names that won’t (or shouldn’t) ever be used again, like this one, and as @Bemopolis alluded to, Adolph. I’m sure there are more.

3 Likes

My favourite local chips (an excellent salt and oil delivery system), with a name that predates the book by quite a bit.

8 Likes

Never knowingly something

2 Likes

Local where?

1 Like

Every style of dress had a name; they seem to have run out.

way back machine archive of ChiChi London

1 Like

And hire more liberal arts majors.

6 Likes

Local in Spain (Valencia. I doubt they go much beyond that).

Fun trivia, there are apparently two unrelated (maybe. It’s unclear: Papas Lolita. ¿Realidad o Mito? - dule.es ) kinds with the same name, from different companies.

1 Like

But they spelled it wrong!

I wonder how many women named Dolores per capita you need before the book no longer ruins the name.

1 Like

So they fell back on their 2nd choice ‘Yo-yo dress.’

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.