Sexy Handmaid's Tale costume removed from sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/21/sexy-handmaids-tale-costume.html

6 Likes

The impression I get is that a lot of these people have heard of the Handmaid’s Tale, but few have watched it. Political cartoonists have been especially bad about missing the message entirely.

10 Likes

I’d instantly chalk it up to ignorance or very strange fetishes.

6 Likes

Talk about missing the point. Something like this was shown in the sequence at Jezebel’s (a brothel for the hypocritical Xtianist leaders of Gilead) during season 1, but I doubt the manufacturer actually watched the show or read the book.

13 Likes

I mean, I could see this working as a parody of sexy Halloween costumes in general, but you’d better really know your audience.

9 Likes

I think this is hilarious, and the manufacturer knew exactly what they were doing.

ETA: I would give anything to troll at this level.

10 Likes

That is so hilariously perverse!

Will I be banned for saying this?

12 Likes

Now do a “Sexy Septa Unella” who whips herself while chanting “shame!”

8 Likes

Geez, can’t a woman wear what a man tells her to at Hallowe’en!?

/S. obvs.

24 Likes

like i said…unless they have some seriously strange fetishes.

2 Likes

Rule 34, and now the Streisand Effect.

5 Likes

Is that just her in her evening clothes?

1 Like

And for the guys out there, the official Monty Python and the Holy Grail™ Chanting Monk™ costume.

Or find your inner Autonomous Collectivist with the Repressed Peasant.™

7 Likes

Dress withdrawn by the author. Will automatically go viral even if flagged.

@beschizza, is there room for photoshopping that dress appropriately? Or setting it into an appropriate context?

Disclaimer: haven’t watched THT, haven’t read the book. Just guessing that you could do some work on a frame from the series, or a book cover including blurbs from reviews.

This will be the first time I’ve ever said anything nice about Twitter. And probably the last.

Some of the comments in the thread Rob linked are hilarious!

1 Like

See, I want one. Because if you swap out the little red under-dress for a shapeless bag, and the platform heels for some proper curb-stomping boots, this is the basic outfit you want for wearing to street protests and legislative assembly protests these days. Making your own costume is a kind of a bitch.

8 Likes

Come on, we all know sexy nazi’s will be all the rage this year.

w654

12 Likes

No way! I’d probably think of Steve Bannon at the wrong moment, and it’d be game over.

5 Likes

I… Hitler lolita?

27 Likes

I’m just so tired of bullshit “where’s your sense of humor” comments in re: to stuff like this, BUT this made me laugh, thanks!

3 Likes