Designing for lefties

You’re lucky or not paying attention. Try pumping gas. Or using a can-opener. Or look at the way an ATM is designed. Or a camera. The list is endless.

2 Likes

I don’t want stuff designed for lefties, I just want stuff not specifically designed for righties if it’s not necessary. I’m looking at you, scissors.

No rubbish, though. Designer only.
Juche & Gabbana or GFTO.

1 Like

a lot of scissors benefit from being non ambidextrous.

For instance:

lets the user cut more accurately.

But they do offer a left handed version

which is more than you can say for Nikon. If Nikon made its camera ambidextrous, it would receive a lot of complaints from photographers who rely on the “two fingered” grip.

If you’re not right handed, you can’t judge the ergonomic advantages of a right handed design over a ambidextrous design. And since most of the market is right handed.those advantages outweigh the lost lefty market.

I’ve seen that as well. One explanation is that with a 104 or more key keyboard, it places the mouse closer to the “home” position.

I’m a lefty and I do have to say that design for lefties can be overdone. I’m all for a mouse that fits in my left hand, but give me a left handed can opener and I don’t know what to do with the darn thing. Hold in you right hand and turn with your left? That’s just wrong.

SteelSeries makes plane-shaped symmetrical mice, although I do thing a few might have accessory buttons on the left side for thumbs.

Apple makes symmetrical mice as well.

1 Like

please, let’s never speak of those again

I loved my hockey puck mouse. Perfect for my little lady hands.

I would think a lot of lefties would love the Magic Trackpad though. Not good for gaming (or filling out surveys with a million tiny radio buttons, tiring!) but fantastic for my RSI in terms of everyday use.

1 Like

Whu…

Googles…

Aaaand I learn something new today. Thanks! :grinning:

It made my good arm hurt even more.

They do. It’s called “the world.”

1 Like

That’s what she said.

1 Like

How many right-handed people get injured specifically because their tools were designed for them?

1 Like

This pair of scissors may look ambidextrous, but they aren’t, really. Simply rotating them around isn’t the same as mirroring them. The operation of the blades is different between left and right hands.

Plus, that blade lock is really convenient for your thumb, if you’re right handed. Is there an equivalent one on the other side? If not, a left handed person will have a greater chance of injuring themselves while they manipulate the scissors in order to get the blades safely locked.

1 Like

Oh, I’m sure right handed people get injured, many tools are simply poorly design, period. But when you have to manipulate some part that’s on the right side by crossing your left arm over in front of you next to the rotating blades, you’re probably in a more hazardous position than if you could simply use your right hand that would never get near the blades.

From a quick Google search…
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/04/us/being-left-handed-may-be-dangerous-to-life-study-says.html

One of my favorite examples is bicycles. The brakes are set up so that the one on the right-hand side goes to the back brake. This is because people squeeze slightly harder with their dominant hand, and if it goes to the front brake, there’s the danger of being thrown head-over-handlebars when you stop quickly. Great safety design for righties…but dangerous if you’re left-handed.

1 Like

Yes, the blade lock is on the other side as well. As for the blades themselves, I don’t see what’s important about the orientation. I’m using mine left-handed right now as a test, and while there is a small angle between directly overhead towards the right side where you can’t see the precise point of the cut, that’s easily solved by an equally small deflection of the wrist, or moving one’s head half an inch to the left. The blades aren’t so huge as to block a great swath of vision.

Try them out in a store or something. Fiskars Soft-Touch.

I actually have an old version of these, they’re not bad. Good that they have the lock on both sides. As they age and loosen up (not too bad a problem with these but definitely with cheaper scissors) you often have to put a lateral force on the handles when using them to help force the blades to make contact while cutting. For left handed people that lateral force is in the opposite direction, so something that is a natural motion for one hand is very awkward for the other.