Designing "technology for women": a flowchart

Yes, girls’ bikes were originally designed with the flowchart’s sexism in play. It’s an abomination of engineering to move the top tube down to within 4" of the downtube.

Nowadays, the mountain bikes and BMX bikes all have squished diamond frames, with a very short seat tube and a long seat post. It’s the best of both worlds. They don’t even have to make girls’ versions of these bikes!

1 Like

Yeah, I thought about mentioning that but thought maybe it would be a derail. Maybe not though.

Mixtes seem to be a good compromise between strength, not getting one’s nuts crushed, and allowing one to ride with a skirt.

And depending on what other parts you put on it it doesn’t even have to look like a “girl bike.”

1 Like

Holy crud! That flow chart is some of the most misogynistic crappola I’ve seen in a while.

It’s simple. You want my money? Give me power tools of equal power, but with reasonably-sized grips and handles. Give me a car that doesn’t rip up the back of my high heels. Give me heavy products that can be levered, rather than power-lifted when they need to be moved.

Even though my hands are big enough, most women’s aren’t, and most of us don’t have the same upper body strength as a guy. (Which is also the reason lighter laptops will be preferred, and why I would carry a .38 instead of a .09mm - which sucks, because it’s harder to be accurate with a .38, just like it’s harder to put up with less screen real estate.) Catch the drift there? I WANT quality and power! I just want it in a form that is actually useful to me.

Secondly, just quit making ugly crap! My home is not a garage, ad that’'s why your mom or your wife makes you keep your tools and man-junk out there. I don’t want to look at those ugly cases all the time. And that goes for just about all other products. Save the pink for the people who still think they’re saving some woman’s life by giving their money to a giant corporation. A sleek appearance will please both sexes. Take a look at HP’s Pavilion all-in-ones. They’re like unisex jewelry for your desk.

Don’t know what I mean? Ask any woman! Even if her exact preferences are different from mine, she’ll still know exactly what I mean, lol. And did I say, “Umagahhh! Boys are soooo dumb about this stuff!” ROFL.

3 Likes

Or a Pepto Bismol factory.

1 Like

I’m not defending it, I’m just curious what sort of products do exist if I wanted to buy a cool product for kids of any gender.

Just because women don’t need special pens and you personally don’t want men’s nail polish hardly means there is zero market for either.

I think the only folks who would carry a .09mm would be people who are intent on sewing.

2 Likes

I prefer this chart:

23 Likes

Eh, I sort of get what you’re saying, but it’s still awkward.

You’re saying that there’s no market for you, however there’s a very large demographic of men who wear makeup. There’s no need to pander to machismo/marianismo to increase market share. Does it work? It does, obviously (though not in the PUA-peacocking fingernail market, apparently) but tying the essentiality of assigned roles with products is still shitty. Brosephs may not have flocked to fingernail polish, but Urban Decay does a good job appealing to all persons.

1 Like

And there aren’t smaller men with smaller hands?

How would making a “woman only” set of power tools be a good idea versus just making alternate grips?

4 Likes

I looked in vain for a funding level for that Memi “smartbracelet” that would include sex reassignment surgery so that I could use it.

from http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/

Honestly, this is what my husband and I thought of it, too. We loved the ads. We were freaking disappointed by the product. Althea is getting Legos. The gender-neutral kind.

2 Likes

@L_Mariachi, I think the Internet has proven that there is a market for every damn thing, no matter how ludicrous.

@Mister44, @nixiebunny, I personally would prefer the Hello Kitty AK47 in such circumstances. (Which I think proves what I said to El Mariachi?) I would also like to someday have one of my chainsaws fully decorated in Hello Kitty, just in case.

@doctorow, Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Oops! My bad.

Depends on the person. The only person I know who carries the largest Samsung mobile is a woman and all the men that she works with think it’s crazy. I think that men and women often have different priorities but I agree that simply making it pink doesn’t work. Actually I have a pink Nokia N9 but my wife has a stylish black Samsung aluminium bodied slide phone.

A smaller male would still have greater upper body strength. That’s why. You give most of the ladies something where they can use lower body strength instead, and they’ll handle it.

No argument about providing alternate grips, though. That’d be fine.

1 Like

Hello Kitty is kinda played out… This Fluttershy AAC Honey Badger is where it’s at.

1 Like

or because they own one.