Despite law saying it must accept and display "In God We Trust" signs, Texas school rejects rainbow-colored and Arabic ones

I would contest that argument.

I think there’s a reasonable case that schools may have to display every sign donated.

4 Likes

I’m just going by the text, “must display a durable poster or framed copy of the United States national motto” which one could reasonably argue to mean a singular sign.

That being said, I’d trust your learned opinion over mine on matters of the law any time.

I think we can all agree this law is bad faith Christian dominionist bullshit.

6 Likes

That is SB 679. It’s a bill that didn’t make it in 2019. The law is SB 797, 87(R). Which is Here
Statute was enacted as section 1.004 of the Education Code. The previous version allowed for, but did not mandate, a school could hang the motto. New version says a school must display it and added the provision about hanging in a conspicuous place and the parts about what may and may not be on the poster.

Agreed. As written, a donated poster must be displayed “in each building of the school.”
At the very least, the district is required to accept and hang a single poster in every building. That’s multiple buildings per campus. I doubt the district, which is fairly large, received that many from the despicable Patriot Mobile.
At the most, the district has to keep accepting and hanging as many as are donated.

Very badly written law. I see the part about no other images or information was an amendment made during the process. Someone thought the law might be used in a way they didn’t like but wasn’t clever enough to actually write a law tight enough to prevent that. A bad law that was badly written.

7 Likes

I think the figleaf covering this law is that the USA national motto is “In God we trust”. I think there’s a genuine 1A case that could be brought against the national motto, but “putting the national motto on a poster” should be uncontroversial.

19 Likes

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

8 Likes

I think this is exactly why they worded it this way- that the signs have to be “donations from private citizens”.

Of course, not like they needed to tiptoe around the Establishment Clause at all anyway. SCOTUS just threw it out completely in that recent decision about the football coach forcing his team to pray with him. They declared it “freedom of religion” despite him forcing the students to do it, on public school property, on school time, with public school funding.

6 Likes

My Jesuit theology teachers all told me this. One of the many reasons, despite me no longer having Faith, why I respect the Jesuits.

4 Likes

These need to be posted everywhere.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.