In video, Christian lawmaker slams Ten Commandments school bill as "un-Christian, idolatrous, exclusionary, and arrogant"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/24/10-commandments-bill-un-christian-says-christian-rep.html

10 Likes

It’s about damn time; true believers ‘brand’ has been severely damaged by the rabid zealots who want to use their religion to control society.

Less and less people in the US identify as Xtian as time goes on, and the hypocritical thumpers are a big reason why.

40 Likes

These vanity legislatures know this is unconstitutional. Will cost the state money to defend them and that they will likely lose. But, it gives them something to rally against in their campaigns to accomplish their real goal of getting reelected.

16 Likes

There are a lot of great lessons here but the one that stands out to me is that Christians are not a monolith.

ETA: This

makes me think enough members of the House were afraid to vote on it because they knew they were, well, damned if they were for it and damned if they were against it.

19 Likes

Amen!

3 Likes

Charlie Day Ok GIF

13 Likes

Hundreds of years of bloody warfare across Europe can attest to that.

8 Likes

Non-x version

24 Likes

This is the flag of Chile, not Texas.

5 Likes

Ramen brother!

4 Likes

Pictured: the flag of the one-star state for comparison.

5 Likes

I like this guy Talarico. What I don’t like is the time that’s wasted by paid representatives to try and push this bullshit. What’s the burn rate here?
“My concern is instead of bringing a bill that will feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, we’re instead mandating that people put up a poster.”

17 Likes

“I’m going to go a different direction than I think you’re trying to lead me…
That’s really an interesting rabbit trail that you’ve gone on with that.”

What’s interesting is that the author of the bill keeps trying to paint basic questions directly brought up by the bill as somehow irrelevancies that require some tortured path to get to.

“…the Ten Commandments are represented in our earliest education system.”

Er, what educational system? The American educational system? In which case, slavery was also a part of our “earliest educational system,” and a lot of other things that shouldn’t have been there. That’s not an argument. But that is his whole argument for this.

21 Likes

Once again, the NYT cannot spell 'christofascists*.

It should surprise no one that he is also a Democrat.
Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats and other anti-fascists in Texas. despite all the publicity the ruling Oligarchy is currently getting.

13 Likes

I’m glad you said this; I was too busy trying to figure out if she meant the Sumerians, or maybe the classical Lyceum, neither of which placed much emphasis on the Ten Commandments.

If she meant the early U.S., though, she’s talking about a system that also largely excluded women beyond the basics that were taught in homes.

6 Likes

That was the other possibility, which isn’t any better for their argument. But the people making these arguments don’t seem to think it through at all - they go out of their way to avoid thinking about it - it’s all appeals to some vague, fantasy history of no specific time or place.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.