Despite sabotage and dirty tricks, Jeremy Corbyn wins Labour leadership race in unprecedented landslide

With Thersa May trying to strengthen the Stasi, it sounds like it could be a boot stomping on a human face for the forseeable future. Could get worse than here.

1 Like

Citation needed.
Theresa may took over Cameron’s job without even an internal Conservative vote. So this statement is bogus.

FTFY

9 Likes

I believe he was thinking more Julius Caesar then Hitler in his beer hall days.

3 Likes

I don’t know where ‘here’ is, but depressed as I am about the whole British political scene I regard May as the least of our worries. The poisoned jereboam of Bolly she’s been handed by the Bullers is going to keep her rather occupied for the next few years. The biggest worry is that the right wing coup failed owing in part to their own internal conflicts and the way their lack of seriousness was exposed, but they’ll be back for another go. A Johnson/Gove/Redwood/Rees-Mogg government outside the EU would quickly dismantle all human rights, remove controls on tobacco sales, abolish the NHS and return to coal generation - based on their own lists of parliamentary interests and public statements. We would become a backward pariah State.
The awful fact is that we have to keep May in power while Labour regroups.

[edit - yes, Johnson is already on the way back again trying to force a timetable for “brexit” so he can represent himself as the leader of the monster raving loony party Conservative right. With Rees-Mogg’s nanny following on behind to wipe noses and carry the hamper.]

5 Likes

Apparently Osborne was amazed that they fell for it. He hadn’t taken on board that Clegg came from an even more privileged background than Cameron and was even more out of touch with ordinary middle class people.

6 Likes

You missed a bit, said coal mining and related power stations would be required to be foreign owned, preferably by the Chinese :wink:

2 Likes

Poll results from last month (full tables here). I did misremember what the results were for 2015 Labour voters - they are more favourable to Corbyn, but not by far.

1 Like

That surprises me greatly.

1 Like

Apparently people have been posting pictures of their membership cards on twitter #goodbyelabour.

The survey presented was created by Survation.

This is off Survation LTD’s wikipedia page,

Survation LTD is a polling and market research agency with British origins. Survation have been
conducting research surveys since 2007. Surveys are conducted via telephone, online panel and face to face market research for a broad range of clients including Owen Smith…

So this is a company that carries out surveys on behalf of clients; as a result one might be forgiven for questioning the impartiality it’s the survey’s results.

According to Survation’s Smith vs Corbyn survey for 04/09/2016

1. Owen Smith is substantially more popular than Jeremy Corbyn. The evidence for this is overwhelming. Not only is his lead among the totality of respondents high at 19.7 points, he leads by double digits in almost every single category of voters. In fact, of the approximately 25 voter categories Survation polled, only one – the 18-34 age group – gives Jeremy Corbyn a lead over his challenger; and his lead there is pretty miniscule at only 0.3.
6 Likes

Well, they sound like a totally accurate source for information then :smiley:

2 Likes

I think the same is true of anyone running a survey. They should always contain info on who paid for them.

5 Likes

So why didn’t those people vote for Owen Smith?

I voted for Jeremy Corbyn and I’m considering fully joining the Labour Party. I’m not convinced by Momentum (I think they are too authoritarian), but they seem to be better than the alternatives.

If you prefer one candidate to the others but don’t vote for them, don’t complain if they lose the election.

8 Likes

Well, at last the people of Britain get a real choice. If people are tired of the Conservatives, there’s now a party that offers a true alternative, rather than Conservative-light.

And if Labour takes a beating, well, at least we were given the chance to present our point of view to the voters and, for better or worse, they made their choice.

14 Likes
8 Likes

Well, if that’s the case, then we now have even more overwhelming evidence that the bulk of that popularity came from people who didn’t care to pay £3 to weigh in on the issue. Among those who meet even that minimal threshold of shit-giving, Corbyn is hands-down the more popular choice.

Granted, voting in a general election is free, and probably the bulk of voters do have close to zero interest in the outcome. No one would admit this in public but we all know it’s grimly believable. So, If Owen Smith stood for something and could win over people who all but flip a coin in the voting booth, then he’d probably be party leader now. But the latter is questionable and the former is false.

If Owen Smith (or Angela Eagle or whoever) is the answer to Labour’s problems, then by that very logic, an even better answer would be to elect Corbyn as leader and unveil a kick-ass new logo or something right before the next election.

5 Likes

Doubleplusgood. Airstrip One has always been an ally of Eastasia.

When you watch PM Question Time the contrast between May’s charisma (and even Cameron’s) and Corbyn’s is stark. I don’t really understand it - I’ve seen footage of young Corbyn when he was a union organizer, and he was on fire. The Corbyn of today seems broken by comparison.

(This has nothing to do with positions; May is dynamic and compelling, but the stuff that comes out of her mouth is still complete rubbish.)

[quote=“Enkita, post:16, topic:86129”]
I would suggest - very strongly - that there is a current of anti-Semitism throughout Britain and that it is much stronger on the Right than the Left.[/quote]
Can you explain more? All I ever see on the news are Labour reps like Ken Livingstone putting their feet in their mouths, but the only UK source I follow regularly is the BBC.

is this the Let’s Have A Nuclear War thread?

At the gay bar?

8 Likes