Despite Trump's vow to kill ACA, the American Cancer Society held annual fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/13/despite-trumps-vow-to-kill-a.html

4 Likes

The ACS lost me when they started turning down donations from atheist groups. They’re more concerned with sucking up to money and power (and apparently that means the theocratic right wing) than saving lives.

17 Likes

Social club for 1%ers rather than an honest charity.

9 Likes

Wanna bet Trump felt his august presence was contribution enough, and didn’t give a dime?

14 Likes

I don’t imagine you’ll find many takers for that bet.

7 Likes

OK, internet and knowledgeable BOINBOING community. What is a better place to contribute to since I don’t want to contribute to ACS anymore but I want to support research to stop cancer.

Here is the Charity Navigator.org rating for ACS, Wow, they spend 34% of their funds on fundraising! https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6495

National Cancer Institute, which is part of NIH and thus HHS in the US? https://www.cancer.gov/about-nci/overview/contributing

Where else?

4 Likes

This goes to show that ACS leadership are more interested in getting a fat cut from donations than doing good research and helping those afflicted with cancer (or survivors).

As @hhype asks, what is a good alternative? I feel like railing against ACS is fair but why not take the chance to give a number of alternatives in the same post?

5 Likes

Sorry ACS. Normalizing not allowed.

2 Likes

Who are those other two people at dinner with trump/Abe in the last image? And I don’t mean Melania or Akie Abe.

1 Like

Oh, I’m sure he gave, to his own charity - and wrote off the donation - and used the money to buy something nice for himself.

6 Likes

But what about awareness!!! If the numbers don’t look good in terms of your charity turning cash into solutions(or at least progress); always harp on how much awareness you are raising. Doesn’t matter if everyone already knows; or even if something more obscure is actually much more dangerous; only a cruel soulless cynic would be awful enough to suggest that your work is not indeed praiseworthy.

(Please note; I do not mean to suggest that ‘awareness’ is always a low value contribution; some causes have a real obscurity problem; and in cases where this is by design more than a few intrepid activists and reporters and such have died trying to get the word out; but this doesn’t change the fact that it is also the first refuge of every over-the-hill charity that has ossified into a state of pure self-perpetuation and acquired some suspiciously expensive overhead and executive staff.)

3 Likes

“The American Cancer Society has to make business decisions based on a variety of factors…”

When you hear the phrase, “business decision(s),” RUN - do NOT walk - to the nearest exit. It means the person uttering the phrase is about to make a decision that negatively affects you and doesn’t want to be held personally responsible for it.

11 Likes

RealDonaldTrump: it was my February presence! Boingboing is FAKE NEWS! SAD!!!

On the bright side killing the ACA seems to be harder than its opponents anticipated.

2 Likes

Dana Farber Cancer Institute is also hosting a fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago on February 18 and been getting some heat about it.

http://www.dana-farber.org/How-to-Help/Palm-Beach/Events/Discovery-Celebration.aspx

They say they’ll think about such “controversial” venues next time.

2 Likes

Children’s Cancer Association gets my money fairly often. CCA

3 Likes

I’ll think about donating next time. And by donating i mean nothing, and by next time i mean never.

1 Like

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

3 Likes

The Cleveland Clinic is pulling the same garbage. Despite the ACA and one of their doctors ending up trapped outside the country by the ban, they went ahead with a Mar-a-Lago fundraiser.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.