Detoxing is bullshit

At least you get a lot of good mineral content with the nuts. A big mac is nutritively equivalent to eating a lump of adipose, whereas nuts do have some good nutrients, vitamins and minerals and fiber. But yeah, they’re astoundingly Calorific.

1 Like

I was being flippant.

My bad.
Lack of coffee and spillover from side-issues related to nutrition-fundamentalists. Normal good humour will be resumed in appx. 2 cups time. :coffee: :coffee:

5 Likes

Herbal medicine is literally dangerous.
I think I ought acknowledge your talky, crunchy naturopaths as a kind of risk; but having unionized risk management is no pureplay antidote. Then there are the competing infosys risks (preventing platonic knowledge of ABC since '85.)

E93 won’t make…
Scrutiny of any sort, no. It sounds like someone’s cutting up a spar road and offering that as the road to health? (And then of course we’re stuck laughing ‘Take my burden, Jimmy Wales!’)

Nothing boosts the immune system.

completely unregulated and largely untested.
Not so; CAM and mainline AMA medicine have only a little indulgence to say how the testing is going (we were going to put the good stuff in the formulation, but someone’s allergic to it, etc. etc.) though pouring the data into apps and putting up a cheer when an immune system is in any condition to be boosted (micropayments to skip waiting to drink 3oz. water) seem like slam dunks. Every 8 months; and a startup like that test:synth clinical adjunct every 27.
Sometimes I want to take my bag of marrow, tripe and bile and take it to the next level, and sometimes I succeed. Doctors need results from the wild, but then hearing how a run went beats discussing printed cardboard (or missing, or empty cardboard) just about every time.
Maybe another app to walk through the cardboard and hand out SUGGESTIBILITY MAX COMBO BREAKER and the occasional nod. (e.g. ‘You must’ve got out of bed to go get that bottle of vitamin E. OK!’)

1 Like

True enough, but the poster said they were having difficulty keeping themselves from eating processed junk food, so taking in calories which pack a lot of protein and healthy fat, even if it adds up to a couple of Big Macs, is still a major improvement!

edited to add: so glad I didn’t respond until after multiple cups of coffee…you AND me!

2 Likes

Feeling tired, sluggish and run-down? You may be suffering from elevated levels of pseudo-science marketing bullshit. But there is a simple detox cure! Just treat all such claims with skepticism and eventually your health and wellness will improve. I guarantee it!

4 Likes

If attempting to apply standards of evidence kills it, it doesn’t with any ethical standards deserve the right to live.

2 Likes

No honey, then?

8 Likes

See: @telecinese’s response to @mns

I just think it’s amusing that there’s a widely recognized, honest-too-goodness food, utilized for many thousands of years, that, strictly speaking, your hyperbole accurately describes.

I’m a reference! That so should earn a BBS badge.

4 Likes

No, it really doesn’t matter if food is processed. What does matter is the amount of salt, fats, carbohydrates and protein is in your food. Junk food can be processed food, but not all processed food is junk. Junk food is pretty terrible for you unless you account for the calories, fat, protein and balance your diet accordingly. Junk food is terrible form a public health perspective because people tend to eat way too much of it, and ingest much more fat, carbs, and salt than they should as a result.

So, it is way more complicated than “processed food is bad, m’kay.” Nobody wants to hear that. Take for instance what astronauts eat on the ISS. Their diets are carefully controlled and an enormous amount of research over the last 60 years has gone in to what they eat. It’s all processed. Very little of it is junk.

Sure, you’re likely to be happier, less stressed, and thus healthier if you eat high quality, fresh, local, artisanal, good tasting food. But, is that because the food is better for you, or it’s just easier to have a balanced diet when you eat that way? Also, is your health improved because you’re much more likely to be affluent if you eat that way or because the food is magically better for you? This is the fallacy behind the study of a few years ago stating that folks were healthier if they ate a Mediterranean diet. Was the food really healthier, or were the study participants simply wealthier?

2 Likes

No! The big mac is 34g/216g or 15% adipose. It’s also ~.5% sodium, 47g/216g or 21% carbohydrates, and 24g/216g or 11% protein. The remaining 51% is misery and the tears of orphans.

4 Likes

Along with many “herbal” standbys, it hasn’t held up very well.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/belief-in-echinacea/

THERE… ARE… TWO… HATS!

5 Likes

I can’t agree. I get that people trying to kick a serious habit probably don’t think “I’ll get some health foods and trendy detox drinks and I’ll be all good in a couple of days” but I certainly know plenty of people who will fill their bodies with chemicals and booze partying over the weekend, then think that if they do some yoga, meditation and drank some wheatgrass juice over the next few days that they’re living a healthy and balanced lifestyle. I hear these people talk of “smelling the toxins leaving their body through their sweat”. I think the definition is much more blurred then you claim.

So, several years ago I happened to find myself in a situation in a group of people which I was all-but cut-off from fast food, salty sugary processed snax, and soft drinks. And alcohol. For several months. There was some small amounts of junk food available, but frankly it was easier to go with out. The food was all cooked centrally, and generally of pretty good quality and variety. The environment also happened to be quite hot and humid, so there was a lot of sweating going on. For the first couple of weeks we all STANK, and the general assumption/belief was that it was various preservatives and other crap from our normal diets exiting our systems. After that, while we all continued to sweat freely, the BO was pretty much gone.

shrug

Maybe it was just the extra sweat and we’d all just got used to the smell … although there were enough people coming and going to indicate that we actually had stopped smelling.

Anecdotal, I know, but it was an interesting aspect of what was overall an interesting experience.

3 Likes

That’s my favorite too. Except with weed. Much less of a hangover, and it doesn’t directly make you puke. Much better “therapeutic index”, if that’s a permissible measure for weed treating cold symptoms.

I dunno. I used to be in shape, and when we went on week long and longer hikes in the scouts, the first few days we always smelled like a pile of dead cats. But then we’d build up a layer of filth and grime and bug-repellant mixed with sunscreen that sealed in all our juices, and we’d stop smelling quite so bad. I’m also suspicious that the dermal ecosystem changes fairly quickly and can start eating a lot of stank if you let it be long enough and are exposed to the right critters.

When we’d finally arrive at basecamp and get our showers, the stink would almost fizzle off as the scrubbing commenced. It was astounding how bad we’d smell as soon as the hot water and soap hit us. There’s also the point that the sense of smell adjusts after a few days so you never notice your own stink after awhile. Plus humans are not good very good at smelling as far as animals go. Some birds might be a little worse than us, but most animals are astronomically better at olfaction.

ETA:
Come to think of it, I’m pretty convinced the sunscreen and bug juice had something to do with it. On snow camps, the stink only gets worse, really bad. But on hot summer camp outs even on the coast the stink goes away pretty quickly.

1 Like

Depends. In low-stake settings, chamomilla and melissa are good for soothing and calming of mind, mint is good for upset stomach. And they taste good. And you don’t have to beg a white-coated priest, who knows about as much about your problem as you, for a costly (both in terms of money, time, and dealing with people) presc. (It’s almost 2015. Where are our desktop molecular assemblers? I can also envision miniaturized cheap labs for many sorts of medical tests, where the whole lab can be cheaper than a single test today.)

In higher-stake settings, herbs are not reliable enough. But for common day to day problems, they are nice.

1 Like