Detoxing is bullshit

i am sorry to hear this - HOWEVER? it may be a good teaching opportunity… :frowning: good luck.

1 Like

Just because it’s on the list doesn’t mean Santa has to buy it:)

1 Like

What’s more interesting is that you didn’t know that you still stank. You adjusted to the smell.

But, maybe it was magic? Perhaps? The bad humors of modern living had been purged form your body. All those toxins… Credulity and confirmation bias like that is why snake oil continues to be so damn profitable.

1 Like

This is you getting used to your flora, it has nothing to do with “preservatives, crap, and toxins”.

I have no clue why people always come to the silliest conclusions.

1 Like

Are you very sure? Might I recommend a classic 400+ post classic comment thread arguing back and forth on this sort of polemic for your amusement and bewilderment.

No, I don’t remember the outcome. No, I don’t particularly care. Yes, it gets silly.

1 Like

I think there’s a wide range of possibilities between “you’re wrong” and “it’s magic”. Perhaps substances in their sweat worked their way out and were replaced by chemicals that didn’t smell bad? I think personal experiences like this are more important than we give them credit for.

2 Likes

Because there’s valid conclusions that people come to when they actually have real-life experiences. But I know it’s fun to dismiss and invalidate them by just calling them “silly”.

1 Like

Double-blind studies or GTFO.

4 Likes

Oh, of course not! And I made sure to delete certain items before forwarding the list to relatives.

We’ve had a conversation about it, and it turns out the specific “diet/detox” items she asked for happen to be non-toxic herbal tea mixtures. She had read the ingredients carefully to make sure there wasn’t anything more dangerous than raspberry leaf or peppermint. So I guess I’ll go sit in the corner for a while!

I’d been living with my flora for nigh-on 30 years by then, so I have some difficulty with the idea that I’d only just gotten used to it.

Something changed, and it changed for practically everyone of several hundred people in the group. And the same thing happened with the group before us. All of our diets changed suddenly and significantly for the better, so it’s not a completely illogical leap to make that maybe it was the sudden cessation of consuming preservatives and the like.

1 Like

Then I’m sure you will be relieved to know that I didn’t pay a cent for the privilege. In fact, I was paid. Quite handsomely. So you can put your fears of snakeoil back to bed.

1 Like

No, it’s sending spices through mazes of twisty risk management fungibility passages to decide what those funny pummeloes are good for, then auditing your parents’ and chefs’ (…bodega clerks’ gardener…) ministerial deference. Double-westernizing the homeopathy with the dilution seems to crack out with a pretty good-looking median cut of side effects. That’s not to say the AMA doesn’t have a healthy Chinese Medicine arm. Attempting with a sidecar of book burning (no Ancient Chinese survived this study; signed, Dubya) isn’t what we’re after, is it?

I just had another thought. Going from a largely solitary or family lifestyle into a larger communal group lifestyle increases chances of casual contact right? Well, how about this: In your large communal group, you have a more diverse microbial ecosystem that’s more motile and transferable between group members. Since, by the way you describe it, group habits were generally healthier, and there was a more diverse ecosystem, a healthier strain of microbiota could have been selected for. Like with pickling with air-borne culture… You set up some conditions that favor a better and less intrusive ecosystem, and the new biodiversity allowed for a shift in how your group was colonized?

No, your credulity and apparent predilection for confirmation bias are anecdotal illustration of the general gullibility of folks that leads them to buy woo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.