DHS, State, and NIH join list of 5 (and counting) federal agencies confirmed hacked in massive Russian cyberespionage campaign

Wouldn’t be a good idea to ensure that software won’t even run unless a complex password is used. If just one person used a simple password the whole thing just locks up.

Crazy IK

3 Likes

Because IT management is a trade off of security vs. expediency.

When you’ve got 10,000 servers to patch, anything that slows you down even by a few seconds is an incredible barrier.

It’s usually not intentional. Admins are simply trying to get the job done and navigating complex security procedures can sometimes be a real PITA.

ETA an allegory:
Imagine you were responsible for making deliveries to a building. You were required to bring load after load in through a perimeter gate by hand all by yourself - hundreds of round trips required. And each time you traversed the gate you had to stop, fumble for keys, hold the door open and then close it behind you. Eventually you’d tire of this and find a way to prop the door open.

4 Likes

Factories with their own heath spas and sports clubs, for instance.

1 Like

Adding to the confusion is the fact that their capitalist heroes in the tech industries offer similar collective amenities to their own employees to keep them on-campus as long as possible.

2 Likes

Wow. Even our internal admin-level usernames are totally cryptic and random.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Everything in the US has been hacked.

Thanks trump.

3 Likes

I still scratch lyrics onto note paper and notation onto blank music sheet paper. In the privacy of my bedroom. Under the covers. So spycams in the CO2 detector, even if hacked, cannot reveal my creativity to the world. If I sing and play, I suppose my hackable Android phone can rip me off. Where is Agent Maxwell Smart when I need him?

BTW hackers IMHO are folks who haven’t mastered social engineering i.e. tricking others into giving up secrets like passwords, PIN codes, and their lovers’ pet names.

1 Like

US nuke agency hacked by suspected Russian SolarWinds spies, Microsoft also installed backdoor

2 Likes
2 Likes

A whole array of opportunities are open to him — among them sanctions or covert US cyber operations. Former national security adviser John Bolton told reporters at a 2018 briefing that offensive cyber operations against foreign rivals would now be part of the US arsenal and that the US response would no longer be primarily defensive.

Columbia University cyber-conflict expert Jason Healey told AP, “We could completely melt their systems.”

But does the current attack mean that they can completely melt ours first?

1 Like

I don’t know - is Rudy still in charge of cybersecurity?

1 Like
2 Likes

Anything to hold off those “Cypriot” banks from calling in his loans.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.