Dialect coach critiques 28 movie accent performances

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/dialect-coach-critiques-28-mov.html

2 Likes

These are great.

1 Like

As a southerner, the only issue I’m sensitive about is the bad southern accent on the screen. I despised Kevin Spacey long before it was fashionable for this reason.

2 Likes

That dude knows a ridiculous amount of information about speech mechanics.

2 Likes

I would love to see him critique an actor’s accent who purposely changed their accent based on who they were talking to. I grew up outside NYC, so usually now have that accent, but around 13 I moved way upstate NY outside of Plattsburgh in the hills. Moved back downstate in my 20’s. When I hang out with my upstate friends, I start to pretty quickly pick up their accent again, it is unconscious but I start to notice it, especially when drinking. Accents are weird, “ball” and “talk” are radically different upstate vs downstate as are a million other little things. This guy is amazing in picking out all these nuances.

My wife grew up in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, but has a more midwestern accent like her parents, but some of her friends have that deep Bensonhurst Italian accent. Go figure, all her life people would ask her when out in Brooklyn where she was from and she would say Bay Ridge all her life, they would usually not believe her.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.