Dianne Feinstein can't remember leaving Capitol for 3 months; snaps at reporter "I haven’t been gone."

That’s a separate issue than what we’re discussing regarding Feinstein and her colleagues. Maybe term limits are helpful in reducing the control of lobbyists in statehouses, but there are probably a whole bunch of other preventative measures that can be taken there first (assuming a critical mass of political will for reform is there, which there rarely is).

1 Like

I’ve definitely heard that before. It takes a while for a brand-new legislator to get up to speed and figure out the system, so they will rely on mentoring from longer-serving lawmakers to teach them the ropes, and in the absence of that, they’ll become reliant on lobbyists (who are often former lawmakers themselves). A serious downside when term limits become too short.

7 Likes

Absolutely. One of the first things a doctor does immediately after confirming a dementia diagnosis is put in a call to the DMV to have them revoke the patient’s driving license. In some cases where the patient holds a job with government licensing requirements, if the physician is aware of the situation he has to let the employer know through channels that don’t betray confidentiality (e.g. if the patient is a surgeon).

3 Likes

Dig up online that this is true in 6 states. 22 others encourage it. Huh. TIL.

2 Likes

In the U.S., having the driver’s license swiftly taken away is regularly reported as one of the biggest and most humiliating blows to the dementia patient. There’s just no other choice, though, since responsible officials and physicians can’t risk someone with that disease on the road.

Having Feinstein in the Senate, though, with the well-being of hundreds of millions of Americans potentially on the line, is apparently no big deal for her “friends” and “loyal” staffers. That’s why this story is enraging to people who know and care for people afflicted with this absolute horror of a disease category.

6 Likes

Having lost a grandmother to this, I am aware, yes. I was not aware that a couple of states had set up mandatory reporting. Makes easier on the children, to be honest. Taking that privilege away was awful.

8 Likes

1 Like

Too much turnover can mean that the institutional knowledge of the assembly is diminished.

There have been great Senators and Representatives who were able to learn the ropes over decades and use that knowledge for the benefit of their constituents. Green representatives might seek outside advice from K Street, wealthy donors, etc.

5 Likes

But what about seasoned staffers? Surely term limits don’t apply to staff and experienced staff can assist freshmen legislators navigate the system at either the state or federal level.

1 Like

I guess, but if “the power behind the throne” remains the same regardless of who is in office then I’m not sure what is being solved by term limits.

5 Likes

Oh man. This sounds like she is gone.

4 Likes

it’s true, but if we implemented some campaign finance laws along the way: they’d spend less time on the phone raising money ( which some say can hit up to 30 hours a week ) and would have more time available to pass along that knowledge

4 Likes

Oligarchy and gerontocracy. Two great tastes that taste great together!

1 Like

So I’m going to throw my two cents in as a caretaker of my mom, who is currently suffering dementia.

I wouldn’t allow Dainne Feinstein to drive, much less be a senator in any sort of good faith.

That lack of any sort of mid-term memory, the reflexive lying in the face of obvious truth to cover memory lapses, are clear signs to me of mid-term dementia. My mom is a proud woman who forged her own way, and sound EXACTLY like that. My mom has many difficulties with me taking care of her, and balancing caring for her disabilities with catering to her ego is a CONSTANT balancing act.

She needs to resign on a high note. Or if her handlers refuse (I’m sorry, at her point she can’t string together anything longer than a few hours, and it will be forgotten later.) Take her down hard in the upcoming election.

It gives me no pleasure to say this, but it is needed to let her rest. even if she thinks (and she can’t) go on.

To take her apart in the next election, schedule multiple debates; even two would work. The horrible trick is to reference stances she takes in the previous debate in the next debate. She can’t remember what she said, and the reaction of the room will throw her off and make her inappropriately aggressive. She will be taken apart in any debate after that.

It’s ugly, but it’s the best way to give California a senator that will actually represent the state as a Themself , and not it’s aides, who were never elected.

4 Likes

Probably too late for that. Thanks to incidents like her effusive praise for Lindsey Graham and the handling of the Amy Coney Barrett confirmation hearings her legacy is already somewhat tarnished. But it can definitely get worse the longer she stays.

Well that probably won’t be necessary since she (or someone claiming to speak on her behalf) finally announced in February that she won’t seek another term in 2024. But of course we absolutely need an effective Senator for the next year and a half so she should still resign ASAP.

Edit to add:
If anything, this new article makes the situation sound even more dire than we previously knew.

4 Likes

Gingrich did kill off the Office of Technology assessment, so it was a two pronged assault.

2 Likes

Or maybe we could work to have a country where everyone has enough of a support system that something like running for office and serving in office can be done by everyone. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

When term limits and age limits seem like a good idea, there’s something so profoundly broken that term limits and age limits are unlikely to fix it. I mean, it’s saying “this senile and/or corrupt person is going to get the most votes if we allow them to be in the election”.

My state has a two-term limit on the governorship. Back in the 90s then-governor Mike Castle (R) couldn’t be governor any more. So the Republican party cut a deal with the Democratic Party, in which Castle and US Representative Tom Carper (D-Del) swapped jobs. The man who arranged the deal was rewarded with a fat patronage job with the Delaware River and Bay Authority, where he was so corrupt that even New Jersey couldn’t stomach it, and called in the feds.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.