Did you ever want to play questions?

Have any for me? I’m running low.

1 Like

What if I want more?

1 Like

Did I throw a grenade there or what? Can I say I’m not against sampling, or borrowing, but Copland’s compositions just set my teeth on edge?

While I don’t place Copland up there with Moxie or Raymond Scott, can I just say I’ve always liked hearing his music? (It’s hard for me to separate associating Copland with Martha Graham, for that matter.)

What about in context, with Martha’s dance?

1 Like

Darn it, don’t I now have Powerhouse stuck in my head? I suppose I should thank you for displacing Hoedown?

1 Like

everyone lifts from everyone, ever listen to bela bartok? or liszt? or basically any of the greats and not so greats?

yeah, and isn’t this every clarinet majors waterloo? (it is soo gorram hard, and Benny learned it in like a week. showoff)

3 Likes

While I appreciate Martha Graham’s contributions to modern dance, don’t I still find Copland intolerable? Don’t his pieces mash classical and American folk music together in a way that somehow lessens both?

Isn’t Copland a Stallone movie?

2 Likes

wait, if you switched copland with bernstein, wouldn’t you sound exactly like my wife? >:D

2 Likes

Elmer or Leonard?

leonard–isn’t it a useful trick to know, all i need to do to clear the room is put on West Side Story?

3 Likes

Isn’t it not the borrowing so much as what gets done with it afterwards? Why does Copland’s work make me want to light things on fire? (Is that an extreme reaction? Aren’t I normally fairly tolerant?)

1 Like

After reading the GOP debate thread I have to wonder, how many of y’all have head-splitting hangovers from the drinking games you were playing?

3 Likes

can’t one describe Copland as perhaps American Gothic painted by Picasso in his cubist phase? considering that certain musical intervals were never used in succession, perhaps it is his use of modal traveling fourth and fifths that make you grind your teeth?

or perhaps the layering of the same mode but different key at the same time? or the almost comical sharpness of a lot of his melodies/counterpoints entrances and exits?

3 Likes

Would it hurt you to know that I like his work?

1 Like

Doesn’t that work just about anywhere?

1 Like

Why would I waste my time watching such a thing? Not even for the lols.

3 Likes

Has she never heard Chichester Psalms? Or even better, sung it?

1 Like

Weren’t some of us eating cookies instead?

1 Like