Did you receive a random packet of seeds apparently from China? Don't plant them

Seems like he’d find the reason why on “Duck Duck Go.”

3 Likes

Eh, maybe. The seeds I got were very small. Could not be more then a gram or at most two. And you could not feel them the were so thin. I mean, a few pebbles I would think would be cheaper and easier. Maybe they sell seeds as well so had them around. Feel better about sending actual products?

So they have a fake account with a real address, place a fake order so they can write a fake review…but they actually mail something??? Couldn’t they just place the order, say they shipped it and then write a Fake review and save on postage, envelopes and whatever the little packet of seeds cost? I’m no business man and certainly not a scam businessman but if you are going to the lengths of doing shady shit at least make it all the way shady, right???

2 Likes

They have to provide a tracking number to Amazon, who then shares it with a customer… the only way to get a tracking number with the correct weight and destination zip code is to ship something. I’m guessing Amazon isn’t fooled by duplicates.

3 Likes

Or tossing them into a composter that doesn’t get hot enough to destroy the seeds.

3 Likes

Is there somewhere I can sign up for this Send-me-weird-random-shit-for-free service?

I promise I won’t complain since it sounds like fun to me. I might even post some positive reviews. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’d be tempted to plant at least one to identify the seeds.

2 Likes

Friend of a friend got some. I was like, “Cut them open, maybe they have some opium. Shipment in Italy had hollowed out coffee beans full of coke.”

3 Likes

OT, but IKR?!? I was looking for linen stuff at the beginning of the summer, and same thing. It seems counterproductive that you can’t yet search by fabric type, or that when you do, the results are so off.On the one hand, it’s inconvenient and frustrating. On the other hand, I smugly think, “AI isn’t really that close to taking my job.”*

*Disclaimer: I do not identify fabric for my job.

2 Likes

The real scam here is the low postage rates for small packages from the PRC to the USA which makes this scheme profitable. In effect the USPS is subsidizing shipping from the PRC.

5 Likes

AIs do not identify the fabric type or anything else. Usually the people are just circumventing search engines by posting the item in whatever category will get the most eyes on it, and sometimes in more than one category. There’s lots of key word spamming, too.

3 Likes

Right, my main point was that the things that we humans can do, and do well, aren’t really that close to being taken over by AI. Sometimes I get the sense that more people are worried about this, but that it’s a loooong way off.
An evidently poorly delivered tongue-in-cheek commentary about our anxiety around AI.
We humans can think! Critically! (But we still won’t land every joke.)

2 Likes

Nobody sends me unsolicited stuff. I feel deprived – yes, I’m depraved on account’a I’m deprived, Should I move to Utah?

2 Likes

HoLy CrAp, I GOT SOME OF THESE TODAY!!! From Malaysia. They say they are shallot seeds and tomato seeds, and since I know what seeds look like, they actually ARE shallot and tomato seeds. But I didn’t order these!!! I will take a pic later and upload it. I can’t believe this!

I. A.M. O.N.E. O.F. T.H.E. C.H.O.S.E.N. F.E.W.

omg omg omg. I am planting these /changemymind

6 Likes

Just got of the phone with my mother in law and she received a pack of temporary eyebrow tattoos and a web cam she didn’t order. No seeds though. Strange.

8 Likes

I was watching a TV show where they showed how the ineligible produce brought in to NYC airports was destroyed. Basically a gigantic garbage disposal they put the plants in, with running water. They claimed it went in to the NYC regular sewer system… I was shocked. It has a good chance of killing bugs, but probably not seeds and definitely not fungus. Other countries properly burned their ineligibles.

6 Likes

Test data in a production system?
Faulty algorithms?
A bored AI?

“But where does it go?”

“Away.”

3 Likes

They make a new account with some random person’s address. Then they use the new account to buy something from themselves and ship some trivial item the cheapest way possible. The new account is now a confirmed purchaser, so they can leave a review that is highly weighted.

They’re exploiting a trust loophole, where customers trust sellers with high rankings, but they nor the marketplace include the buyer’s history in the score calculation (i.e. a brand new account with 0 purchases is trusted as much as someone who’s been buying on the platform regularly for 10 years)

3 Likes