Did you take this photo of a UFO?

Originally published at: Did you take this photo of a UFO? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Really looks like a a rock just breaking the surface of a pond with a reflection of the sky in the mirror-like water to me… :hugs:

27 Likes

Obviously a Star Destroyer with the command bridge obscured by clouds.

9 Likes

Back in the late '60s I used to walk the fields and look at the night sky. One night I was watching a tiny dot of light crossing the sky and I thought, Satellite. Then it paused. Then it made a quick diagonal to the right, then to the left. Then it scooted across the horizon. I’d been watching planes all my life. This was no plane. It was of the same appearance as any star, planet, or satellite (I cannot recall whether it twinkled). Simple story, but what did I see?

13 Likes

Now that you say that, the “plane” looks like it might be something on the water and the lower image is its reflection as well. It looks boat-like, but a quick look on Google Earth to find some island to match that scale doesn’t exist (assuming the stated location is accurate). So, if not a boat, I’ll go with… stick.

3 Likes

This looks a lot like a Fata Morgana mirage to me.

6 Likes

That’s just swamp gas.

4 Likes

Huh - it sure does!

3 Likes

Totally like first poster said, as soon as I read that I can’t unsee a reflection!

Won’t dissuade the zealots though. Few years ago a friend daughter shared a pic (selfie of course) she took in her bathroom mirror in which there was a ‘gnarly, monstrous arm’ in the background. It shook their whole family up, it does look pretty scary, however my son said bet he could solve it so we all piled into car, scooby squad like, and headed up. After about half hour he said look, and had perfectly reproduce the exact same scary arm in his own selfie. A combination of reflection, with distance doublingg due to mirror and dark shadows cos of light in mirror, anyhow even with that proof, they still wanted to have priests check out room etc…

Still, was fun solving the mystery.

8 Likes

Or a smaller rock, its reflection, and good old pareidolia. It’s easy to see that as a plane, but blink a time or two and you can see that it’s not.

4 Likes

Did I take THAT photo of a UFO?

No, but I have taken other photos of UFOs, do they count?

3 Likes

I couldn’t remember the term, but this is exactly what I thought it looked like.

2 Likes

I didn’t take that UFO photo, but I did take this UFO photo in the summer of '95

5 Likes

That’s what I thought at first, but look at the uncropped picture. It’s clearly something in the sky.

2 Likes

Looks like someone Frisbee’d a fishing cap into the air.

3 Likes

Having seen the uncropped picture, I’m even more convinced it’s just something breaking a body of water and reflecting, or, at the long end, a Fata Morgana.

5 Likes

In no particular order:

1. A minor stroke
  2. A tiny pressure wave moving through the capillaries of your retina, inducing the nearby retinal cells to register a bright spot
  3. A military aircraft practicing air-to-air manuevers at night
  4. An alien spacecraft trying to annoy you.
4 Likes

We do have a smuggler problem just south of the border.

10 Likes

I once occupied a few days faking UFO / paranormal images, shooping (that means applying PhotoShop-like effects) frames from an old Sony digital camcorder. Then I got bored, and quit. It was too easy. 8-(

Not sure if this applies to fata morgana, but I don’t see much symmetry between the reflected clouds.

2 Likes