Dig this Star Wars Disco from 1977, and May the Fourth be with you

[Read the post]

1 Like

Am enjoying thisā€¦but now what I really want is a movie (modern budget and tech capability) based on the visual aesthetic of the album cover (and soundtrackā€¦)

I had a copy of that as they were a give away at the time. And I was 10 so it wasnā€™t like I had taste in music yet.

4 Likes

Well, as long as weā€™re admitting to our little indiscretionsā€¦I actually bought a 45 of the cantina music when I was 13.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s a podcast called Rebel Force Radio that uses that as their closing music.

If you donā€™t dig listening to people talk about Star Wars, imho their Oxygen show about the Star Wars music of John Williams is worth a listen. Itā€™s not 100% Star Wars and/or 100% John Williams, but Iā€™d say itā€™s about 99%.

You couldnā€™t go anywhere in late '77 to 78 without hearing that song.

4 Likes

The term ā€œDigā€ applied to anything hip cool in the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s with the most notable exception disco.

1 Like

Iā€™m too young to remember that. Iā€™m the right age for 1990s English Happy Hardcore though.

I had that Meco album - and even as a 10 year old I was bothered by the disconnect between its ersatz Buck Rogers cheeseball cover and the gritty, stained reality that Star Wars presented. Basically, the cover art ruined it for me though I was okay with the disco pew-pew-pew effects.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Amen! I though the song was crap then as well, and I used to listen to the real soundtrack all the time at the public library.

Your personal indiscretions are nothing compared to the horror that was this, previously featured on BoingBoing.

5 Likes

Does anyone else remember this one?

I was 7 when the original film was released. We were out shopping one day and I saw this at (IIRC) a bargain price. I convinced my dad to buy it; he evidently missed the circled disclaimer in the upper left corner. I figured out what it meant after about 10 seconds into the record.

Hereā€™s a sample:

When we moved to Texas a few years later, one of the TV stations was using this for its station ID.

4 Likes

This is really the best of the Star Wars bunch. From 1977 sans copyright.

1 Like

They should have gotten Deodato instead. Five times the funk, none of the cheese.

1 Like

You can always rock out to this:

(And youā€™re welcome - no ā€œIā€™m Han Soloā€ posted!)

1 Like

I would pay money for that. Although I do love this ā€œ8-bitā€ full album cover of Dark Side of the Moon so I canā€™t swear to the general appeal. :sweat:

2 Likes

I loved this song so, so much. My parents had bought the actual movie soundtrack on LP, and I was disappointed that this wasnā€™t on it, but a more ā€˜seriousā€™ cantina track was. The whole summer of '77 shaped my 5-year-old mind for decades to come. I discovered comic books, MAD Magazine, and Star Wars changed things for good. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Pity the French. They had this thrust upon them:

[hope that worksā€¦]

Guess not. Oh, well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnAvtozSnN8

1 Like

Best drugs ever!
That was great (well for some definitions of great).