Digital Caliper for $7.58

Anyway…
The digital readout will create an illusion of precision that isn’t there.
And if that doesn’t matter because you don’t need that kind of precision, why use a caliper in the first place?
But the real problem is that the battery will die at the worst possible time, at that point in time and space when you actually need a caliper, but won’t be able to find a fresh battery for hours and hours and/or brontosauruses and brontosauruses.

And another thing: didn’t we had this conversation already a couple of months ago?

I have a radio shack branded shitty caliper.

but I don’t need the precison-- the digital display is mostly useful for data entry,

This doesn’t excuse being pitiful enough to wear out an LCD in the matter of a few years; but the one nice thing about a lot of the cheap and cheerful electronic ones is that they often have a (usually unmarked, invariably undocumented and…eccentric) data interface you can tap into.

Less convenient than the screen for normal calipering; but extremely handy for tacking modestly precise measuring capability onto things.

1 Like

I saw giant digital calipers for measuring the crown to heel length of babies in the hospital today. Those could be plastic. They were very well made from stainless steel, but plastic would have been fine. Unless you wanted to 3d print a replacement baby. That would require some lidar.

1 Like

That’s a collector’s item now!

2 Likes

Doh, and now you can never buy Radio Shack branded batteries for it :-0

Where can I use my Radio Shack battery card now… Sigh…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.