Dinner, with a side of misogyny

I’ve heard Muslins are pretty good at it.

3 Likes

I think the key would be to find a way to weave it into the fabric of your everyday life.

7 Likes

In my more misandristic moments I think I should have figure out I was trans long before I did simply because I never had that attitude. I cook, do dishes, and whack things with tools what need whacking with tools (e.g., household IT, plumbing, yard work), while my nesting partner does laundry, cat care, and administration (library organization, finances, prompting for grocery planning.) Whatever chores are left we split or share on an ad hoc basis. We discussed it once and neither of us feels like the other isn’t doing enough, while we both feel like we personally could do more … which made us realize we’ve got a decent balance there!

14 Likes

I was far too timid to say something like that at 14, but I have spent the last 25 or so years wishing I’d said, “Actually, I’ll make one hell of a husband.”

I never learned how to fold fitted sheets, though. I’m pretty much convinced it’s a form of necromancy.

10 Likes

It is indeed one of the dark arts!
If you ever find yourself in my neighborhood, I will bring you into the fold. Mwahahaha.

13 Likes

No one knows… anyone who tells you otherwise is a lying :grin:

Or magical? :thinking:

7 Likes

If someone really, really wanted me to fold fitted sheets well, my solution would probably involve gluing them to a large, rectangular piece of 1/4” plywood, sawing it into 1 ft x 1 ft sections, then putting hinges between sections lengthwise, then hinges between every 4th section, then folding it all together into a 8” tall stack.

MUCH easier to fold and store. Because the elephant in the room is that, for fitted sheets it’s not just folding them, but removing them from the linen closet. Inevitably, they drag a half dozen other items with them when you remove them, spilling them all over the floor to unfold.

4 Likes

It’s not quite voodoo magic, but definitely not a lie. Get the first two corners in each of your hands, facing the same direction, then flip one hand’s worth onto your other hand’s worth, shake it out, fold in half along the long edge, then fold again in thirds along the short edge. There are videos out there showing how to do this. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

I can’t fold fitted sheets…

But I can stow cables and wires so that they don’t turn into a rat king and I wish everyone else would so I don’t have to untangle and refold.

(End of another pet peeve! Sorry)

7 Likes

4 Likes

But they are all in four or five dimensions and my silly little flat head cannot comprehend!

5 Likes

Don’t feel bad, my family looks at me like I’m from Mars every time I show them how. To them, it is absolutely sorcery.

8 Likes

Videos of lies… or magic!

7 Likes

[why not both gif]

8 Likes

Saw this on Facebook this morning and for some reason I thought of this topic.

6 Likes

I’m not sure how, but my husband never had that attitude either. Despite growing up in a household where housekeeping was def women’s work. He does most of the house chores- cooking, food shopping, laundry, dishes. I do cat care, evening kid wrangling (as he is busy cooking our food), all other provisioning. I think he started doing everything when my depression was so bad that getting through work was about all I could do. Now I, the female partner in this cis-het relationship, is the one who feels like they don’t do enough!
My partner is very dismissive of men who refuse to step up in the home realm. He believes any man unwilling to do domestic work bc of his masculinity has a very fragile sense of self.

19 Likes

There’s a bell hooks quote that speaks to that.

7 Likes

We were visiting an old family friend for Thanksgiving, and she had one of those old-fashioned fitted spreads over the spare bed so that she could use it as a day bed when she didn’t have company. She literally stood there gawking as my daughter and I pulled it off and folded it as one would fold a fitted sheet – it’s really the same thing, but with much thicker material – because despite being nearly 80yo, she had no idea one COULD fold such a thing!

I am proud to report that my children all know how to fold a fitted sheet, but it could be because they inherited my kinesthetic learning skills. I don’t think telling them would have been as successful as physically doing it with them enough times that they developed a muscle memory for the poke-the-corner-and-flip maneuver.

11 Likes

reggie watts yes GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

12 Likes

I did, too, and that’s why I’m happy to cook and clean, etc. I helped out and that was wonderful time with my mom, who was very busy with work. Our “us” time was meal prep and clean up. So it has always been associated with warm memories for me.

I had a grandfather who was a very good role model for this, too.

15 Likes