Dire Straits playing "Sultans of Swing" in 1978 days before its release (video)

Originally published at: Dire Straits playing "Sultans of Swing" in 1978 days before its release (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

TV Producer: “Boys, you have 5 minutes onstage to chat up the audience and play your song.”
Mark Knopfler, turning to the rest of the band: “Speed it up a tad, we have a deadline.”

Nice version. Thx for the link.

11 Likes

One of my favorite songs by one of may favorite guitarists.
When I go to see a local pub band, I request this just to hear how they do the final solo.

5 Likes

I saw them play this, must have been roughly around this time. They were supporting Talking Heads, at Swindon Oasis, the venue that Oasis got their name from.

5 Likes

It’s amazing that this masterpiece was Knopfler’s “starter song.” He’s done a few interviews on the development and growth of his finger and thumbpicking technique. I like this one:

1 Like

Isn’t it though. With a Lady Writer chaser.

My band teachers always emphasized accurate articulation as key to really making a musical line stand out, and Knopfler’s articulation makes this song. It would not be the same without that beautiful alternation of staccato and sustained notes.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.