Discarded gloves on the ground, a new coronavirus pet peeve of many

Trash picker, your own gloves, bucket with trash bag inside, and a big trash bag to keep the bucket and gripper in when not in use?

2 Likes

Diapers and dog shit in the hallways have been recent occurrences and today I found a diaper and a glove outside the street door (which seems germane to the topic at hand). Also I have seen discarded masks which makes even less sense than the gloves…I can see dropping the gloves when you get into your car or pass into your building but the mask? Don’t you still want it?

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few single gloves, but during the lockdown it’s otherwise been so clean that they stick out.

I always carry around a trash bag when I walk around (usually saved vegetable bags from old grocery runs) so I use that as a sorta-glove to grab trash now; like the way people pick up dog poo.

I pick up garbage when I walk the dog, focusing on plastics (not touching used tissues), and it’s been cold enough in Toronto that I’m still wearing lined leather outdoor gloves; are they thick enough to ward off the virus? I dunno. But I’m grabbing latex and nitril gloves along with the coffee cups, plastic bags, and cigarette packs. I am very careful taking them off when I get home.

I did see someone with a plastic grabber and a garbage bag in one of the parkettes in the neighbourhood, and I think I’ll look into that.

3 Likes

My daughter and I don gloves twice a year to clean up around the local lake and paths. It would indeed be nice to not have to stoop to pitch things up.

3 Likes

I travel the same route, twice a day with the dog, and I pick up the same amount of trash in the morning and in the evening, day after day.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I had two gloves, when I was done with them I put them in my pocket. When I emptied my pockets at home I had only one glove. I didn’t mean to litter, but I am also not going to drive several miles to retrace my steps.

To who ever picked up my trash: thank you very much!

Wear gloves?
eta: I see the redundancy…

Lots of masks and gloves in the gutters along with the dogsh*t and cigarette butts here in France. You could say littering isn’t really a new problem here.

What irritates me most about the gloves is that they generally appear to have been removed in a way that shows the wearer probably touched the outsides of the gloves with their bare hands.

Getting on my (ahem) soapbox for a minute, it may be worth a reminder that gloves aren’t like masks in that they can not directly protect against infection with the virus, and that hands should be washed/sanitised after gloves are removed anyway.

In this particular (respiratory infection) situation, my opinion is that gloves may be useful to remind us not to touch our faces, but are often being used by people who don’t really know why they’re using them.

3 Likes

Makes a change from gas canisters

Little nest just round the corner.

3 Likes

Yes, but when you have murderous murderers killing store employees for “disrespecting” them by insisting they wear PPE, will businesses make that big a deal out of it?

Here in Dallas, Costco is the only retailer I’ve seen that actually enforces their own “no mask, no service” rules.

1 Like

Fuck 'em - or rather, don’t. Call the cops.

1 Like

Probably the same people that leave these in restaurant parking lots (in the “before times”).

5 Likes

This one annoys me to no end. Especially when garbage cans are clearly within sight of where these gloves are dumped and the unsanitary way they would have to be disposed of on the ground. This is just being selfish/sociopathic .

4 Likes

Several of the stores I frequent have “mask required” signs on the door. Things I have observed at those stores:

Sweaty woman who apparently has just been mowing her lawn approaches the store. Pulls grimy homemade mask out of her bra, puts it on.

Guy in the store wearing a disposable mask with several sets of oily fingerprints on it.

Man and woman pull into parking lot, take homemade masks from where they’ve been hanging on the rear view mirror (probably since the last grocery run), put them on.

And how many of you boingers who have homemade masks wash them thoroughly every time you get back home? (You can lie about it, no one will know.)

Until we get to the point where the store can give every entering customer a new disposable mask, the more that masks are required, the more it’s going to approach “virology theater”.

2 Likes

The masks are still keeping the wearers from potentially infecting other people. Which is a big deal. I’ve never really thought my mask will do more than reduce the number of viral particles I’m exposed to. It’s not going to protect me completely. But it will protect other people if I’m a silent carrier.

8 Likes

This has been the purpose of the masks in non-medical settings all along. But for some Champions of Liberty™ it’s unfathomable that people would take such a measure mainly to protect others rather than themselves.

6 Likes

That’s part of what bothers me so much when I see people who refuse to wear masks. Such a total disregard for everyone else. Sure, I’m fine if they play roulette with their own health. But for fucks sake, wear a mask so other people aren’t at risk.
Them again, this whole people not treating others with basic respect has long been something that bothers me.

4 Likes

Worth reposting

6 Likes