Disco trucks of Japan

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/27/disco-trucks-of-japan.html

5 Likes

On an alternate timeline, this is what Joel Schumacher’s Transformers would’ve looked like.

29 Likes

I’d be 100% in on it. Too bad the current franchise is a barely comprehensible CGI wankfest.

14 Likes

I’ve seen articles on this scene pop up occasionally over the years and it’s always super fascinating. Is there a documentary about this? Because i would watch the hell out of it.

10 Likes

Boing Boing, if this article gets the Rcik Dees smash hit stuck in my head, there will be words!

You know, the song that goes: “Disco! Disco trucks!”

You’re welcome, everyone.

12 Likes

Is it just me, or do some of those front bumpers look like stages? I half expect them to be cruising down the highway with women in hot pants and gogo boots dancing on them.

10 Likes

That would be the best thing ever! EVAR!

2 Likes

If Jean Claude Van Damme can do the splits between two trucks…

6 Likes

I would be down if some of those trucks had a bunch of arcade/pinball machines in them. Would be totally rad to have these trucks roll up for a (birthday) party

2 Likes
5 Likes

7 Likes

Has any video game franchise explored Dekotora? I feel like it’s fertile territory.

4 Likes

Found this on YouTube

Vice documentary

Not sure if it showed though.

If nothing else, there’s consistency: No sign of any aerodynamic drag-reducing roof or side fairings on these babies.

The Sims 3: Dekotora DLC

1 Like

Ornate crumple zones.

3 Likes

Cultural institutions unite!

6 Likes

This was one of the selectable characters in the 18 Wheeler arcade (and later Dreamcast, PS2 and GameCube) game:

8 Likes

In a Daft Punk co-production.

10 Likes

Damn near perfect response to every post. I am starting to believe that you have superhuman capabilities.

4 Likes