Discover the acceptable levels of filth in your favorite foods

If eating a few insect bits means everyone has access to affordable peanut butter, we’re doing pretty good as a society.

1 Like

My own guess was around 30% but I like yours. Were you on your high school physics olympics team?

1 Like

True, and there is also a small but steady trade in atoms between the troposphere, the Earth’s crust, and outer space.

But even if my model was completely accurate – although its answer is “about 100%” for most inputs – that would never literally mean “100%”. It would be, like “99.999999%”.

Given that a person has around 1028 atoms, and that f can’t be less than 10-9, for someone to be made up entirely of ex-poop, you’d need a truly gigantic value for PDPI; basically it would require that the entire planet were coated in a mile-thick crust of dinosaur poop back in the day.

1 Like

OMG I would have been if I’d known about it.

This little jar of honey I got here says “may contain pollen, propolis, honeycomb and unavoidable bee parts” right on it.

I skimmed a few random legs off the top when I first opened it.

It’s a trick question: Birds are dinosaurs, and fowl (and their eggs) are regularly eaten by practically everyone everywhere.

Edit: ISTR a similar queston along the lines of "how many of your atoms were once part of Hitler (or some other horrible example of humanity). IIRC, the answer was something like 100,000, which seems like a lot until you compare it to the unfathomably large total number of atoms in your body.

1 Like

Insects are a good source of protein.

Why have there got to be so many peanuts in our insect butter?

People are allergic to peanuts!

4 Likes

2 Likes

My parents enjoy adding simple syrup to their pancakes (they aren’t big on maple syrup). They keep the bottle of it in their pantry and sometimes ants get in it. I’ve used it and didn’t care about the ants :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m sorry you had to grow up in such a deprived (depraved? :wink: ) environment. Kudos to you for getting out!

2 Likes

I think the simple syrup is not all that bad, it’s better than fake pancake syrup and my mom could make it at home. However i do prefer the real deal maple syrup and i have a giant jug of it at home :slight_smile:

1 Like

Introduce them to the concept of jam on pancakes, then. Oooh, and get them to make Rosa Parks’ “Ultralight Pancakes” recipe (with peanut butter…so yummy, filling, and peanut-y) and then put jam on top. They will beg you to thank your internet friend!

3 Likes

Lingonberry pancakes.

2 Likes

I believe we now call that oil :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.