Liberals will make conservatives eat bugs, says Newsmax host

Originally published at: Liberals will make conservatives eat bugs, says Newsmax host | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I did that once to my little brother. I would be thrilled to do that to McTurtle. Hell, I would pay for the privilege!!

26 Likes

It’s like someone watched Snowpiercer too many times and took away exactly the wrong message.

21 Likes

Ironically, Republicans’ chipping away at consumer food protections means that we’re all eating more bugs than we would have to.

43 Likes

I suspect we are as fixated on MTG as they are on AOC, but I think the underlying reasons are fundamentally different.

7 Likes

Also… Left-leaning Star Trek fans…

tng-riker-gogh

19 Likes

Millions of people eat bugs everyday, what’s the problem?

14 Likes

Damn, it’s an idea! Let’s do it!

Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

9 Likes

Drat! Now they know our secret plan for world domination!

11 Likes

Not that this exercise is ever very useful, but I think if you unwind all the layers of conspiracies, fear-mongering, and spin, I suspect the root of this story is increased chatter among sustainability advocates that we should be eating more insects. They are by far the highest protein and calorie density for the amount of resources required to raise them. Cricket flour is gaining in popularity as a way to get on that train for the squeamish (of which I am one and haven’t yet had the guts to even try that). Many environmentalists speculate that in 50 years or so, a lot of our calories may indeed come from insect meal (but voluntarily as culture, not as some twisted world government order).

By the time a cultural story or trend like that gets to the rightmost end of the punditsphere, it is no longer recognizable or meaningful.

29 Likes

Well the tumpanzees have been eating the QOP shit for a long time so bugs would probably be an improvement.

2 Likes

That guy’s an idiot. I think @VeronicaConnor is onto something. This is nothing new, and has been a part of the sustainability discussion for at least 2 decades now.
A place opened just across the river that sells marinated crickets (I think from Mexico) and other insect based snacks.
In college we harvested, prepared and ate insects from the gardens as part of an environmental sciences class on sustainability. They were good! If you can get over the cultural stigma, it’s really no different than eating crawdads or shrimp or lobster :woman_shrugging:t2:
The cricket flour is (IME) a tad bitter, but super high in protein and you can dilute it in recipes.

14 Likes

So… the takeaway is conservatives want to feed people bugs?

6 Likes

Ha! I think the takeaway is that RWNJs bug the shit out of sane humans.

8 Likes

If we’re going to force people to eat humans - Newmax hosts are perfectly safe.

11 Likes

6 Likes

Actually, bugs are an incredibly high-quality source of protein, cheap to manufacture, and low-carbon…

Oh, I see what they’re on about.

15 Likes

I think this may be part of the key. They seem incapable of understanding a change in culture as opposed to being forced to do something. Thus when they hear a much higher percentage of people are now identifying as queer it’s because parents are forcing them and not because culture has shifted to be generally more accepting of this. I highly doubt I’m personally going to take up Insecta Cuisine anytime soon, but I’m sure not going to object to someone else doing it.

17 Likes

Thanks, but I’ll stick to vegetable proteins, there are some good tasting meat substitutes these days.

2 Likes

Lots of cookbooks available on the topic. Biggest problem for my is harvesting adequate numbers to make a meal. Pretty much need to farm them somehow, “hunting” in the wild is not very productive.

2 Likes