Discovering hidden faces in unexpected places: How pareidolia reveals your creative potential

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/14/discovering-hidden-faces-in-unexpected-places-how-pareidolia-reveals-your-creative-potential.html

6 Likes

huh. i thought everyone did this, that it was some remnant of lizard-brain activity – looking for faces as an instinctual act of self-preservation against predators, or something. maybe not? or maybe some are just better at it than others?

5 Likes

7 Likes

I’d say it’s this. In my talk on the basics of data visualizations, pareidolia has a prominent spot to show that our visual system is very good at finding known patterns everywhere, a fact one needs to account for when designing statistical graphics.

1 Like

which face am i supposed to focus on? there are more than one, and they are all disappointed in something.

4 Likes

The little face inside the big face looks more sorrowful than disappointed to me.

3 Likes

Me Too Gus Cruikshank GIF by NETFLIX

2 Likes

How could you do that to Groot?

3 Likes

I had been certain you were merely celebrating Halachic Yuaval Yov (guessing it’s a minor holiday…5 min. dusting the library or so) and picked a pseudonym accordingly. Glad to see the paredolia not actually in a Lada (dashboard.)

To me, the difference is feeling compelled to look at the non face face repeatedly over an hour or 5. Like it’s gonna finally see it has an audience and throw down with its jam. These guys can hear ghost story droning awful patiently.

3 Likes

I’d invite everyone here to spare a thought for the poor souls affected by parmerdolia, the curse of seeing feces in all possible unexpected places…

(Ok this should probably go in the name-morphing thread…)

2 Likes

I “suffer “ from this too. :wink:

4 Likes

avatar points to truth in your confession.
(or is it just me?)

3 Likes

:poop:

About that…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.