Disney and Marvel threaten boycott over discriminatory Georgia law

Surely any business that is involved in credit is a faith-based business - credit requires a belief that the creditor is going to get their money back from the borrower. Disney must have enough lawyers to see if that trivial precedent with no ramifications whatsoever would float…

4 Likes

Are they going to boycott North Carolina? What about Tennessee that just re-introduced their anti-LGBT bill? 16 states are considering legislation to harm trans people specifically or LGBT people more generally. Is Disney going to boycott more than half the union?

Why is this all going on at once? you may wonder. Because the Republican platform writers realised trans people are both visible and extremely vulnerable. This is meant to bring out the votes for their candidates. I expect it will largely work.

Meanwhile, I’m holding my breath, turning a lovely shade of Democrat blue, waiting for the other party to respond in some meaningful way.

2 Likes

Because, as we all know, when a sinner would approach Jesus, Jesus would tell him or her to get the heck out of there, because Jesus wouldn’t hang out with lowlifes, he only spent his time with the Good People.

3 Likes

There’s a pretty substantial section of the Republican Party which is concentrating on working at the state level, having decided that that’s where the real action is happening. And that was before El Drumpfo came along.

1 Like

It turns out it was all a misunderstanding. They meant any “feet-based business” because, let’s face it, there are some people out there whose feet nobody should be forced to deal with. Unfortunately, the person who dictated the bill had an Irish accent, and the next thing you know…

1 Like

The threat is more that they won’t make movies there anymore. Atlanta is kind of a Hollywood Lite these days - cheaper than SoCal for a lot of things.

The GA law doesn’t mandate that anyone buys from anyone, so Disney could just not buy from GA just fine.

2 Likes

Well there is a little bit of good news out of Tennessee, although it’s bad news that the unnecessary and discriminatory “bathroom bills” are being pushed in the first place.

And even that good news is undermined by a proposal to defund the University of Tennessee’s diversity program and use the money to buy “In God We Trust” decals for cop cars.

Sometimes I think I should get this on a t-shirt.

3 Likes

I doubt they thought through the law that far. From reading the law, it doesn’t seem to have occurred to the authors that any religion other than christianity exists. All references are to “churches,” no temples or “places of worship” or whatnot. They use the term “faith based organization” to mean churches or groups of churches, religious schools, and convention mission agencies. Though they do include “religious practitioners” among the “minsters of the gospel or clerics.” Obviously written to protect only christians.

There is also this weird bit about how no business or industry shall be required by ordinance or resolution to operate on either of the two rest days. Um. Has that ever come up? Anywhere?

cite: DocumentCloud

Georgia is effectively fucking with the production of Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

Burn the state capitol building to the ground I say!

4 Likes

So there’s an opening for a non-Christian to have standing to sue on First and/or Fourteenth Amendment grounds? Excellent.

2 Likes

So, they going to boycott NC?

1 Like

They probably don’t have enough filming or other business operations centered there for such a threat to carry any weight. Looks like Asheville’s citizens are gonna have to step up and try and fix their state. Again.

6 Likes

No, no, no… too close to my location of education/employment.

3 Likes

Is NC the “hollywood of the south”? And @SpunkyTWS beat me to it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.