Disney birthday cards are the best birthday cards, but the battery charge has to be just right

Originally published at: Disney birthday cards are the best birthday cards, but the battery charge has to be just right | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Better than the original :slight_smile:

4 Likes

THAT was the video i needed to see today. still laughing

5 Likes

Neat! But how does it work? Is it a CD?

11 Likes

Peter Panzig.

10 Likes

Death Metal Fairies

Happy nightmares, kids!

4 Likes

The best gift of all: a greeting card that summons a Great Old One.

10 Likes

Too bad that the chips they use can’t be reprogrammed with new sounds.

I suppose, if you could obtain blank chips, you could burn a new one and swap the chips, but that ups the work for a prank quite a bit.

4 Likes

I’m sure I’ve seen things like that on hackaday, but I may just have imagined it.

5 Likes

Something like this?

6 Likes

That’s the badger.

2 Likes

Extreme clipping makes anything sound like death metal.

4 Likes

So it’s like a walkman?

2 Likes

This player is analog? digital would have weird speed issues…
I’m not sure we should take this for face value.

1 Like

Definitely digital. Those are speed issues you’re hearing. Sound was sampled to a chip. It is likely that undervolting either the sample chip or the DAC driving the speaker has either (or both) of their clocks oscillating unpredictably (first slowly, then speeding up as an onboard capacitor catches up, but consistently frequency-dependent). Digital stuff that’s been subject to Muntzing to meet a price point will do some weird stuff when operated outside of the intended spec.

3 Likes

“You can fly!” sounded more like a sinister command than an invitation. Maybe someone could sync this version up with the guy from Fantasia who leads the horde of night demons.

6 Likes

voltage controlled oscillators???

\m/

1 Like

I’ve never torn one down. Could be an intermediate stage, but either way weird stuff can happen and I guarantee those circuits aren’t being built with fail-safes. I suspect those into the circuit-bending audio scene probably get good mileage out of these.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.