Disney+ censoring classic Disney cartoons to reflect modern sensibilities

yes, but in the perfect libertarian utopia to come …

1 Like

There was a big dustup over The Criterion Channel showing a edited version of the French Conmnection wherein Poppy Boyle wans’t quite as racist as in the original cut And it came down to Disney making the decision.

2 Likes

Are Disney’s own jackbooted thugs gonna come to everyone’s house and take away their physical media collections? Are they going to storm libraries and burn any old copies of Cinderella? Are they going to burn down the library of congress?

Yes, they can certainly do much to control digital distribution, but those copies that I was talking about are already out there… and if Disney has jackbooted thugs clearing out our physical media collections, then we kind of have other problems…

That is a problem, so maybe we should vote to ensure that we have some sane copyright laws that benefit more than large corporations…

I had not realised the Disney Corporation was editing their old titles, but for many years they have had a policy for new works to never show anyone smoking.

I recall this being mentioned by the producer of “Saving Mr Banks”, a film that had Tom Hanks portraying Walt Disney. Originally the Producer was worried that Disney Corp might lean on him to sanitise the image of Walt, but he was pleasantly surprised when the only restriction they placed on him was that he couldn’t show Walt smoking, because the Disney Corporations policy was not to show anyone smoking. There’s a shot where the camera follows someone entering Walt’s office, and when Walt comes into shot he is working at his desk. It’s a clever shot, because older folks will recognise that he is stubbing out a cigarette in an ashtray as he greets the other actor, but the motion is so limited that young folks will likely think he’s just putting something down on the table, maybe a pen.

2 Likes

Q: So how did Walt die, anyway?
A: No one knows. Now get the hell out!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.