Disney drops $4.8M in Boy Scouts funding over anti-gay policy

MY older boys and leaders? I grew up Jewish in New England, I take no responsibility.

1 Like

Pretty sure you’re wrong. Disney has a long history of offering same-sex benefits and for decades was the largest employer of out LBGT people in the southland.

1 Like

Gay Scouts are okay - because of pressure through public censure - but gay adults in leadership roles are still icky, dangerous, sinful and thus forbidden? BSA made half the right decision, but stopped short because of actually being inclusive because… teh gay still equals pedophile or something?

2 Likes

Disney has been pro-diversity and gay-rights since forever. They recently had a lesbian couple on one of their kids shows on the channel.

Sure, I agree it’s only half of the right decision. But for Disney to remove the BSA from the Voluntears list now seems off. It almost looks like they’re punishing the BSA for finally allowing openly gay Scouts. Wouldn’t a better time for removal have been, say, 2012? When the BSA had just publically “doubled down” on their anti-gay policies? When Eagle Scouts were returning their medals as a protest against the BSA? Maybe if Disney had removed BSA from the Voluntears list then, it would have helped to bring the day of allowing openly gay Scouts along sooner. Or persuaded the BSA to allow openly gay Scouts AND leaders.

I don’t question Disney’s decision, or their LGBT-friendly bonafides. Just the timing seems strange.

1 Like

I thought hating gay folks was guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution…?

Hopefully the money will now go to the Wilderness Explorers instead. CA - CA! RAWRRR!

5 Likes

Okay - I could be absolutely am totally was wrong about this. Sorry, Mickey!

I agree with those who think the BSA made things worse with that decision. As long as you don’t change anything at all, you can always claim that it has always been that way, you aren’t aware of a problem but if it exists you are sure it isn’t that bad and you don’t see the need for change etc.

But if you put the issue onto your agenda, come to the conclusion that the status quo is untenable and then, with all your 21st century awareness of the debate, implement half a reform, then you are drawing a new line in the sand and showing gay scout leaders more clearly than ever where they stand.

1 Like

I’ve worked at Disney and I have family who have worked there for decades.

Yes gay days is not an official event. That’s the press release answer.

Truth is behind the scenes Disney 100% supports and approves of the event.

1 Like

Seriously I have no clue what’s going on, because I was informed this was happening in back in 2012. I guess something held it up, but it was a forgone conclusion this was happening years ago. Might have something to with union contracts who knows.

The BSA still excludes atheists as well, right?

as a boy scout not of america though, i have to say WTF ?!

1 Like

This article states:

The Walt Disney Company announced Saturday it would withdraw funding from the Boy Scouts of America beginning in 2015 unless the scouting organization overturns a policy banning gay leaders. [emphasis added]

So it looks like Disney is trying to lean on them to be more inclusive. It’s possible Disney was hoding off on action to give BSA to make policy changes internally. It’s also possible that it took some time to push this resolution through at Disney.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I thought it was just limited to snipe hunts and left handed smoke shifters

Wow, another reason to hate them.

I don’t care if people have fond memories of this organisation, its nothing but a bunch of bigoted assholes teaching lessons that parents should be teaching to their kids. If I had kids, I’d teach them to bully boy scouts for belonging to an ignorant, backwards group.

So the gay scouts would get bullied from both sides? Harsh.

Yeah - that’s the solution! Bully and oppress until your view is the only one that remains. Sounds perfectly reasonable.

Never mind the fact that a lot of people in scouts DON’T have a problem with gays and are actively working to make changes within. Already they have had some success with the lifting of the ban of gay members.

I think what we should walk away with here is - we hope you don’t have kids.

@Brainspore That’s how I roll :wink:

Well get back to me when they fix themselves properly. Since they’re insistent on their little godwank I’d say it’ll be never.