Disney to reboot Firefly without accused harasser Joss Whedon

I share the general concerns about a “family friendly” Firefly but hear me out. What if they steered fully into the skid and gave us…Firefly Babies? Eh? See…it could work.

12 Likes

tumblr_nfrlhwTCAF1riul5co3_500

7 Likes

Yeah. Remember when they bought all of Fox.

As for concerns about it being made into a family friendly version. This is the usual take whenever Disney does anything.

But they just had a new Captain America cut some ones head in half with his damn shield on their “family” platform. Have owned FX for 3 years and are still running, and have just renewed It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Have announced new Alien films. Just to pick a couple things.

This was announced around a year ago, though there’s been no detail since. Even the bit about Whedon not being involved I’m pretty sure was already out there. The only bit in the linked article about “family friendly” is speculation from the writer that it’s likely because D+.

The original Firefly was on a broadcast network. Where FCC rules, and the standards of the oldest most conservative viewers pretty much rule the day. It was already fairly family friendly judging from the number of families I know who watched it.

10 Likes

So the plus side is it’s without accused harasser Joss Whedon, but the huge downside is it’s still being made by the horrific Disney corporation? Eurgh. No thanks. Giving up D&D because they now own it hurt, but this is a knife in the back.

1 Like

intended to be more family-friendly.

No. Absolutely not. I’d love to see more Firefly and while Joss Whedon was certainly a part of the show, he wasn’t the show and it can get along just fine without him. Making it “family-friendly?” Oh hell no. I don’t even want to know what that hot garbage would be like.

Also while it could do a lot better without Joss, I don’t think it would be anything near as good without that cast. Fifteen years ago? Yes, could be done. Not so much today, unfortunately.

13 Likes

So the Reavers will rape people to death BEFORE feasting on their flesh and wearing their skin?

24 Likes

I’ve seen this reported a few times now - “family friendly” - with no concrete evidence.

Until that’s conclusively proven, I am instead going to be excited for any extension to the firefly universe until I hear otherwise. especially if it can shed a harassing creator in the process.

23 Likes

egads! the absolute horror! something like Muppet Babies? or Rugrats in space?
TBH, I might watch the latter :man_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

I WANT this to be good…but I don’t like the odds of that happening.

8 Likes

It only works with Muppets… and only in the 80s…

muppet babies 90s GIF

14 Likes

Remember when we first meet Kaylee?

“Grab boot ain’t your trouble. I seen the trouble plain as day when I was down there on my back before. Your red couple’s bad.”

20 Likes

?

Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast. But Disney does not own Hasbro, they’re just a major licensee of Disney brands. Hardly the only one either.

4 Likes

Family friendly…

13 Likes

Disney has not confirmed anything about the plot, but there is speculation on how the story will differ.

So - this is all complete speculation about how “family friendly” it will be. I think the original show as ~TV 14 or so, and there a lot of shows on Disney + at around that rating. So I don’t think it will necessarily be too sanitized.

Well - I won’t get my hopes up, but I’d love to hear “You can’t take the sky from me” starting some new episodes.

6 Likes

No Joss Whedon - can they also promise no Adam Baldwin? If so, I’ll watch.

8 Likes

I am a leaf upon the wind…

3 Likes

Remember when Netflix brought back Arrested Development (with all the original people, and not that much later)?

I’d love it if there had been more episodes of the original Firefly, but that doesn’t mean Disney can just stick the same brand on any old shit and have it be good. And, like, if they don’t want to make a Joss Whedon show, maybe just make something other than a Joss Whedon show?

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be fun to replace Inara wiith an hilarious cgi-animated sidekick?

8 Likes

Inarajar-jar

15 Likes

firefly-serenity

21 Likes