Disney to reboot Firefly without accused harasser Joss Whedon

Originally published at: Disney to reboot Firefly without accused harasser Joss Whedon | Boing Boing

6 Likes

wash-betrayal

I wonder if there is any news on the Buffy reboot? sequel? Whatever?

20 Likes

New Pepsi! Now contains no Pepsi!

27 Likes

Not too concerned about Joss, but a kids version? Pass for me.

I have plenty of kids content as it stands. Firefly without the cussing and politics is, I dunno, Star Wars? When they tried to introduce that into SW the fanbois got mad.

43 Likes

I’m wondering how a show about a flying facility featuring a sex worker was even slightly “family-friendly.”

27 Likes

46 Likes

BronzeFoolhardyHind-max-1mb

24 Likes

So, not Firefly, then.

55 Likes

21 Likes

Disney? yeah this’ll work out just great
just not Firefly
tumblr_mmhulfAJIS1s5dg2fo2_r1_250

28 Likes

Family Friendly? giphy|nullxnull

43 Likes

Guess what the first thing they’ll cut is…

18 Likes

Well… kind of.

10 Likes

Too little too late.

3 Likes

A “family friendly” Firefly would be like a 90 second episode. Mal is not a particularly good guy: he’s a train robber, bank robber, smuggler, and murderer. He struggles with his morality because of those flaws.

He’s also heroic, and won’t leave his crew behind. Except for Jayne. Or maybe River and/or Doc. And sometimes Book. But probably not Kaylee, and almost definitely not Zoë.

And he’s an interesting character for those exact reasons.

Firefly worked because the cast and characters were new, interesting, and nobody was one dimensionally good or evil. And it remains memorably good because the show didn’t last long enough to jump any sharks.

I don’t know what Disney will produce, but it’ll probably appeal more to the teen crowd than to Firefly fans.

38 Likes

firefly-hoban-washburne

14 Likes

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
- Oscar Wilde

31 Likes

Family friendly Firefly?

32 Likes

Family friendly Firefly. Yuck.

25 Likes

I’ll note one of Joss’ other shows also remains memorably good because while it did jump at least one shark, a great many people ignore those episodes and focus on the seasons they did enjoy.

4 Likes