Firefly returning to TV?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/16/firefly-returning-to-tv.html

6 Likes

Gorram Disney!

37 Likes

I can’t imagine any of the Browncoat fanbase (among whom I count myself) going for this. It’ll be FINO.

ETA: Of course, that won’t matter to Disney if they think they can get a whole new audience for it.

26 Likes

Because one space cowboy show wasn’t enough?

5 Likes

The only thing possibly worse than it being cancelled is a reboot that pisses all over the original. So what will we get? 2020 strikes out at thee from the depths of Hell. Take a guess.

38 Likes

Just. No.

I’d love a new series in the world of Firefly, i wouldn’t particularly care if it was PG but rebooting the show entirely and changing it to be something it’s not is not something i’m interested in.

40 Likes

Agreed. Play in that sandbox all you want (hell, bring in Captain Kaylee and her shiny new adventures) but no need to reboot it and change it.

28 Likes

I can’t think of any show that was resurrected from the dead years after cancellation that turned out to live up to the promise of its early seasons.

Example: the first three seasons of Arrested Development were solid gold A+ material. The 2013 resurrection wasn’t bad, but it never hooked me in the same way and I didn’t even make my way through all 13 episodes.

Besides, the events of the Serenity movie nixed any chance of getting the old crew back together.

At least we still have the Rocinante for a little while longer!

30 Likes

Battlestar Galactica?

14 Likes

That’s a reboot, not a continuation

4 Likes

Can we count TNG?

10 Likes

I thought we were talking about reboots, on the basis that Firefly will be a reboot

14 Likes

I think the critics were pretty much in agreement that Galactica 1980 wasn’t as good as the original run.

18 Likes

Fair enough, so it will be. Well, that’s even more concerning than a sequel/continuation.

Of course then, conversely, Arrested Development isn’t a good example above.

4 Likes

On one hand - I like my some wild west sci-fi.

On the other hand, we had a short, but memorable journey with the original characters and actors… I just… I don’t know how I feel about ever accepting them…

Then again, I say that every new Doctor Who and 3 shows in I am on board.

I mean, this could be fun. It could also be a blase mess.

9 Likes

:face_vomiting:

6 Likes

Surprisingly, I’ve been having trouble finding it online. I only recently watched Firefly, right before the pandemic hit.

7 Likes

Keep your expectations really low, and you’re less likely to be disappointed.

3 Likes

It’s on Amazon Prime Video if you can spare $3.99 for some semblance of closure.

I agree with comments above that suggest Disney should just tell a story about a different group of people set in the same sandbox/narrative universe. It worked for The Mandalorian.

12 Likes

I think you misspelled ‘watch Whedon shit all over beloved characters with a terribly written movie that denies any proper continuation’

Yes, I’m still a bit bitter.

8 Likes