Disney will pivot Epcot away from its "sponsored content" model

Well, I will agree with you that many Disney rides are first class (and I actually really like amusement park rides, especially coasters), but the extreme crowds + extreme heat severely downgrade my enjoyment of TMK.

In any event though, the original point that Epcot is unique unto itself (flaws, notwithstanding), still stands.

(and Cedar Point as the pinacle of amusement parks?! Blechhh!)

Oh lordy yes. My family used to go in mid-August (due to school seasons, being the son of a teacher). The heat, humidity, and crowds are intense, lines are long for everything, nobody’s happy. There isn’t as much of a ‘down season’ as there used to be, but January is much more tolerable.

Absolutely agreed, there’s really nothing else like it, and I hope that even with the new rides, it keeps its unique flavor as much as possible. Per Cedar Point, I think the friends-of-friends were just extreme coaster guys who thought anything but ultra-fast coasters were kiddie rides. They really didn’t get why people enjoyed things like Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth.

2 Likes

Closing Communicore?
Meh. Give me my stoner/Sagan/future-y science fair EPCOT or gtfo :stuck_out_tongue:

Sadly, the CommuniCore science fair stuff has been gone since the late 80s/early 90s.

Ohhh I know. I was just hoping for a revival “in the spirit” of the original.
The “Guardians of the Galaxy” ride makes that seem unlikely, though.

At least bring back the rainbow tunnel. Someone took a recent-ish photo of it somewhere - it still exists, waiting for its comeback.

1 Like

You have NO idea how much I’d like that. My first EPCOT experiences were in the mid '80s; the dawn of the computer age was the perfect time for exciting exhibits about how computers are going to transform the future.

The state of the Imagination pavillon is… rather sad, yes. If they were smart they’d play to nostalgia and bring much of it back; the Figment comics and anything with old Imagination stuff on it is a hot seller, so the audience is certainly there. Beyond any of these new Epcot overhauls, bringing back some gleeful childlike joy to that pavilion (including the rainbow tunnel) is by far my biggest wish.

1 Like

Living in Arizona as a kid in the 70’s, Disneyland was an attainable destination, barely. The child me loved it, but the adult me now realizes that my parents blew like 150% of their vacation budget at the place and were stressed out. I’ve been back a few times since and liked it less each time. Maybe take the kids fishing instead.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.